FORUMS: list search recent posts

resolution of time line or resize on output, which is better?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sachin Desai
resolution of time line or resize on output, which is better?
on Mar 15, 2016 at 3:46:26 am

I am editing a project shot on red and canon 1 DC.

Red source is 5k and 4k in some shots and canon 1 DC is 4k. it is not shot as center cut in cropping i need to re-frame shots thats the main issue.

i need to deliver it in 2k dci 2048x858.

so now i'm confused if i should make the time line of 2k dci and color grade or make the time line of 4k grad and output 2k

or i should make 4k dci crop project grade, resize footage and out to dci crop.

please someone advise..

thanks

Sachin Desai

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
Re: resolution of time line or resize on output, which is better?
on Mar 15, 2016 at 3:51:57 am

set up your timeline res to match your deliverable and adjust the other parameters accordingly.

Return to posts index

Sachin Desai
on Mar 15, 2016 at 8:19:36 am

thanks for the suggestion,

i just wanted to get both resolution if client wants 4k as well than I don't need to go through all the sizing process again.

thanks

Sachin Desai

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Mar 15, 2016 at 7:51:33 am

It should not theoretically matter as long as you check off "Force Sizing to Highest Quality" and "Force Debayer Resolution to Highest Quality" on the Delivery page. This will always go back to the high-res original and then downrez from that to your chosen output resolution for the final render.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Mar 15, 2016 at 9:39:30 pm

Marc, aplenty that's not the way it should be done now. Peter Chamberlain is advising to edit and grade in the timeline in a lower resolution such as HD, but when you are done that stage, then change the timeline resolution to the highest master or deliverable you intend such as UHD so that a new render is done before you go to the Delivery stage. In that way delivery will use your UHD timeline resolution for creating UHD deliverables or downscaling to HD deliverables as you wish.

If you leave the timeline as HD, and try to deliver UHD, deliver will upscale from the timeline resolution, not use your source clips.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on Mar 16, 2016 at 12:56:30 am

The 'Force sizing to highest quality' changes the algorithm used, not the res.

So Rick is correct. if the timeline is HD, a UHD output will uprez.

Return to posts index

Nat Jencks
on Mar 16, 2016 at 5:57:01 am

Peter, long standing feature request:

Can this be updated so that scaling is concatenated?

In other words if you have a 4K source and a 2K timeline and want to render a 4K output, it would be great if you could just do so directly from the delivery page.

Resolve seems to already have the capability to render at higher resolution that the timeline without changing the timeline resolution since you can choose to render individual clips at their source resolution.

Changing the timeline resolution at the end of the project after working is not a great solution as it can't absolutely guarantee that nothing will change positionally.

It would be REALLY great if resolve simply concatenated scaling operations like Nuke does so that you could always know that your output was being rendered at the highest resolution available.

Most feature films I grade in resolve shoot at 3K (Alexa) or 4K/5K (Red) and we grade in a 2K timeline for targeting our main 2K and HD deliverables. However it would be great to be able to easily render out a 4K or UHD for clients that request it.

Please consider this?

Thanks
-Nat

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Mar 22, 2016 at 3:26:28 am

[Rick Lang] "Marc, aplenty that's not the way it should be done now. Peter Chamberlain is advising to edit and grade in the timeline in a lower resolution such as HD, but when you are done that stage, then change the timeline resolution to the highest master or deliverable you intend such as UHD so that a new render is done before you go to the Delivery stage."
The last time this came up a few years ago, I was assured that as long as those two checkboxes were clicked, it wouldn't matter. I'm such a stickler, I always change the timeline resolution anyway to whatever the source format is anyway and then downrez in the delivery page, just because that made sense to me. I definitely saw a big difference if you had a blowup with 4K material: it was a lot softer with an HD timeline vs. a 4K timeline, even just monitoring in HD.

But I also notice the render speed goes down a good chunk when you click on the "Force Resolution" and "Force Debayer" modes, so it always seemed like it was doing more than just a change of algorithm.

Return to posts index

Colin Travers
on Mar 25, 2016 at 3:22:19 am

+1 to Nat's Post. Please make 'render at source res' really what it sounds like and needs to be.

Return to posts index

Sachin Desai
on Mar 26, 2016 at 6:27:53 am

thanks for all the replay and discussion,, my problem is that the DOP has not shot with margin for crop so i just can not do center crop, i need to re-frame 4k/5k footage according to space / head room and all..

so whats the best way to do it?

Sachin Desai

Return to posts index

Misha Mazor
on Apr 25, 2017 at 9:33:25 pm

Kindly advise how to change a Timeline's resolution? Where is that option?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]