FORUMS: list search recent posts

Time line trim

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ali Quintana
Time line trim
on Mar 7, 2016 at 4:20:13 pm

Wondering how I can trim my timeline, started with a long timeline edit, deleted shots later on so my timeline is half filled.

When delivering it renders the remaining timeline where there are no clips in the edit page, it renders that part in black.

This makes my final render twice as long and bigger file-size, half of the render is my project the rest is black frames.

Any suggestions are very welcome.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Time line trim
on Mar 8, 2016 at 12:22:06 am

Duplicate your timeline and delete what you don't need.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Mar 8, 2016 at 8:54:48 am

thank you, you mean delete what I dont need before the duplication correct?

OK, how exactly to duplicate the timeline.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 9, 2016 at 4:34:18 am
Last Edited By Michael Gissing on Mar 9, 2016 at 4:34:50 am

You do know that you can export a section of a timeline by marking In Out points?

The manual can help you with this plus duplicating timelines.

No point in duplicating after deleting. Obviously you would do it on the duplicate so your original remains intact.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 9, 2016 at 3:30:55 pm

I guess the question is why did you delete sections of the timeline and not just close up the holes?

Glenn

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 9, 2016 at 5:27:16 pm

[Glenn Sakatch] " why did you delete sections of the timeline and not just close up the holes?"

I do this occasionally in the time-honored (or habitually-obsessed) strategy of checkerboarding A and B rolls. For example if I have a melange of acquisition frame rates that I might want to eventually segregate in order to keep or delete either all the 23.98 or 29.97 source media and then re-build an appropriate sequence for either universal (23.98) or domestic broadcast (29.97) and try to keep the media as native as possible. That is -- trying to avoid conversions that compromise the available net quality. The worst is trying to get the original 29.97 fps stuff back down to 23.98P. Can't see why I would want to convert and then re-convert.

However, the attempt to keep the edit segments (if they need to keep a sync relationship) separate is not lost on me. This can be as subtle as the SMPTE-A relationship that 2:3 pulldown will introduce with respect to the timeline reference timecode. Sometimes, it makes things slightly easier to find placement when you need to start re-conforming elements that have gone out for treatment, VFX... blah, blah, blah. ("Uh, I think that clip came from somewhere around the 43-minute mark...")

Had a breakfast meeting not that long ago trying to sort out how to streamline re-conforms when all (496 or so) VFX clips come back into a feature-length project and they're all named "Untitled" and start at 00:00:00:00 time code. And there is a producer screening in about 10 minutes... from five minutes ago. ("What! Those things are already a week late!!???!?!")

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 9, 2016 at 5:33:56 pm

Checkerboard!...i haven't heard that term in a while.

It does sound like he is not trying to keep any relative sync...or the black spaces in between would be just fine.

Now on to 496 clips titled "untitled" all with the same timecode! Ouch!

Glenn

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Mar 10, 2016 at 1:19:45 pm

thank you for the reply, the client wanted some shots out so the timeline became shorter, I mean the time of the total edit became shorter, however, I cant find TRIM TIMELINE (as in AE), there remains a huge empty part at the end which is rendered in black

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Mar 11, 2016 at 6:43:06 am

If the Resolve timeline has even a tiny piece of audio or a short clip much further down the line, then you'll have a big chunk of black at the end. Find that piece and delete it or deselect it (D key) and then it won't render. Or just mark the out point in the delivery page so that segment is not rendered out.

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Mar 14, 2016 at 4:16:46 pm

There seems to be no clips in the end, still there is a whole black piece rendering every time.

I know I can put outpoint at delivery, but there should be a better way in the edit page....?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]