FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere resolve round trip with Digital Bolex footage problem with re-linking files

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Juan Palacios
Premiere resolve round trip with Digital Bolex footage problem with re-linking files
on Feb 12, 2016 at 10:04:47 am

Hello! I'm using the resolve-premiere pro roundtrip workflow for the first time and I have a problem. Here is what I've done so far.

I import the DNGs to the media pool in resolve to create the proxies. (I export the proxies with the same name as the original dng). At this point I don't export an xml or select any easy set up option.
I do my edit in Premiere Pro.
I export a xml from PP.
I import the xml in resolve.

But the new timeline in resolve is a mess. A lot of the clips have been replaced by random dngs sequences whose names don't even match with the name of the proxy . The dngs that resolve should have used to replace the proxies are in the media pool but I don't know why it doesn't take them.
I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Some help would be really appreciated! Thanks in advance!

PD: I'm using resolve 12 lite and the latest version of premiere pro CC.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Premiere resolve round trip with Digital Bolex footage problem with re-linking files
on Feb 13, 2016 at 4:38:53 am

Resolve is very dependent on Reel Names, and if this metadata is corrupted or missing, or if you have several clips with similar or identical names and identical timecodes, you'll run into conflicts. The section of the manual on "Importing Projects & Relinking Media" (pages 500-558) is very informative, and you should read this a couple of times to get a grasp on the logic behind how the conforming works.

I have rarely encountered a project that imported 100% perfectly, but generally it'll get 95% of the way there and the minor fixes left are usually pretty simple to take care of. I always ask the client to give me a low-res timecoded reference file of the project so I can use that to compare the conform and make sure all the repositions, wipes, titles, cuts, speed changes, and so on are exactly correct.

XML can be a bit dicey, but this is a problem when moving a project from Premiere to Avid or Avid to FCPX or FCPX to Resolve or whatever. I think there are some vagaries in the limitations of what XML can describe, and so things fall through the cracks. As it is, it's amazing to me that it works as well as it does.

Relinking to camera originals is fairly simple and that's covered in the manual. It helps to manually point Resolve to the specific folder with the camera originals and tell it to ignore the file extensions. As long as the file names are exact and the timecode matches, it should work.

Return to posts index

Juan Palacios
Re: Premiere resolve round trip with Digital Bolex footage problem with re-linking files
on Feb 21, 2016 at 8:16:29 pm

Thanks a lot Marc!

Somehow when I import the xml and I leave the "automatically import source clips into the media pool" checkbox on and the "ignore file extension when matching" checkbox also on Resolve replaces the proxy files associated with the imported XMl for the DNGs which is what I want to happen. As you said it's more or less 95% ok, there are some minor errors.

However I don't know wether Resolve is taking those DNGs from the media pool or it is importing them from a disk.

When I import the XML and I leave the "automatically import source clips into the media pool" checkbox on and the "ignore file extension when matching" checkbox off Resolve just imports the proxy files associated to the XMl. Which is what I expect to happen but not what I want. What I don't know is what "ignore file extension when matching" does exactly. Anyways, so far it seems to work.

I guess I will get the logic behind this as I work more.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Feb 20, 2016 at 10:45:38 pm

Unless it had been fixed, Digital Bolex records at 24fps, not 23.98 and it doesn't support TC. Other than that, it's great:)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]