FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to retrieve projects and database from Time Machine backup?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erline O'Donovan
How to retrieve projects and database from Time Machine backup?
on Feb 8, 2016 at 9:19:15 am

Hello all,

I know there have been several questions about where Resolve stores its projects, but all the answers I've found said to first export the database and then import them, which I don't think I can do, since I had to do a clean install of Yosemite on my iMac (for other problems), and I am now trying to retrieve my old projects and database from the full backup I did of my iMac using Time Machine.

I was using DaVinci Resolve 11, but Resolve didn't work after retrieving it from the backup (unlike most of the other applications) so I just installed Resolve 12. I'd had previous versions of Resolve installed on my iMac prior to 11, in case that changes anything regarding the location of the files.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: How to retrieve projects and database from Time Machine backup?
on Feb 13, 2016 at 4:48:30 am

If this is a standard Disk database, then the default location of the Disk database for Mac OSX is:

/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/Resolve Disk Database

on the boot drive (or at least your standard application drive). In general, you're better off making a manual backup of the database and then restoring it separately, rather than copying files outside of Resolve. Be very careful and backup the system before you do attempt to do so.

It's also a good idea to export a temp copy of whatever current project(s) you're working on every day or so just in the unlikely event of a crash or data loss. I haven't had to use these frequently, but it's happened once or twice in the last few years, enough to make me paranoid.

Return to posts index

Erline O'Donovan
Re: How to retrieve projects and database from Time Machine backup?
on Feb 13, 2016 at 10:45:13 am

Thank you very much! I got all my project and settings back. Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]