FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve 9 Lite started crashing

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoff Johnston
Resolve 9 Lite started crashing
on Feb 5, 2016 at 2:30:40 pm

I've been working on a project with 5DMKII RAW footage for about a month, and everything has been going great until just recently my monitor turned black and then my computer rebooted on its' own after a few seconds.
When my system started back up I opened up my project again, switched to the Color tab, scrolled through my shots, and *Bam* my screen turned into a bunch of colored stripes and my computer restarted again.

After scouting the internet for answers I saw that someone repaired their disk permissions in Disk Utility, so I did that and tried again, but my computer just keeps going black and restarting when I open my project.

Is this happening because my project is getting too large for my GPU to handle?
I haven't had any problems up until now, so my system can evidently run Resolve just fine.

If my project IS too big, should I split it up into many smaller projects? And if so, how can I do this without losing my keyframes and tracking data? I reckon that I would have to export stills of all my grades to import them into a new project, but I don't understand how I'm gonna do this if I can't even got to them without my computer crashing.

Would love to hear some input on this if anyone can help me out.

System specs:
15" Macbook Pro Unibody Early 2011
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
12 GB 1333MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6750M PCi
Intel HD Graphics 3000 512MB Built in
OS X 10.9.4 Mavericks

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Resolve 9 Lite started crashing
on Feb 5, 2016 at 4:22:11 pm

If your project is too big, usually it feels clunky, slow to respond to anything. Takes forever to load.

If you want to break it up, I would start by breaking up your sequence into smaller sequences. Just duplicate the sequence, a few times, and start cutting it up.

If you want to shrink the project, do the same thing. Open your project, do a save as, and then cut out alternating sections in the projects.

Typically I've found the media in the project less influential than the size of the sequences, which is why a lot of us work in "reels" for bigger projects.

As for your problem, it is just as possible your graphics card is dying, or an update snuck into your box, which is not happy with the older version of Resolve.

(I'm surprised you can run resolve 9 on a MacBook pro)

Glenn

Return to posts index

Geoff Johnston
Re: Resolve 9 Lite started crashing
on Feb 6, 2016 at 11:38:30 am

Thanks Glenn,

I chose to go the sequence route... So far so good in the conform tab, no crashes yet while cutting my sequence.

I really hope that it's not a case of my graphics card dying. I found a temporary solution to my problem by lowering my Tmeline and Video Monitoring resolution to 720p. Now I am able to work on the entire project without it crashing, but your suggestion is going to come in handy because I'm gonna need to raise it back up to 1080p in the end to deliver my footage.

Resolve 9 does work on my Macbook Pro and I've been doing solid work with it for over a year. There is actually a good number of people who use my hardware according to forums that I've been on. Just recently I was on the set of a Sprint commercial and the colourist was receiving dailies straight to his Macbook Pro, he was using Resolve 9 Lite.

it's a quick way to work on Arri Raw footage without wasting anye time, and they could also show a rough grade to their client on the day of the shoot to ease any concerns about the look of the finished product.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]