FORUMS: list search recent posts

Removing Hot Pixels Effectively

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Griffin
Removing Hot Pixels Effectively
on Jan 25, 2016 at 12:51:20 am

I’m coloring a short film shot on RED, which has a number of hot pixels in some of the shots, and I was wondering if anyone has a good method for removing hot/dead pixels. In the past I used a freeware plugin in FCP 7 called Dead Pixel Remover that worked a treat. I’ve yet to find anything that really works in Resolve.

I’ve tried making my own masks and blurring them, which just creates a visible smudge in the shape of the window. Windowing and qualifiers to try and darken or lessen the pixel, in addition to a blur, still doesn't really work. I have Sapphire and used a combination of windowing and S_GrainRemove, which works for some smaller pixels, but doesn’t cut it, or looks too noticeably blurry for larger ones.

Is there another tool, or method, or plugin that works better? Something that actually samples adjacent pixels and works like an active clone tool (instead of just creating a smudge over the pixel)?

I’d like to keep it inside Resolve if possible and I’m not sure how using an outside program like PFClean will work with my workflow. Because I’m using R3D files and need that latitude, I don’t want to take those into another program and have to export out to a Quicktime or TIFF or DPX and lose my camera raw.

Any ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Evan

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Removing Hot Pixels Effectively
on Jan 25, 2016 at 1:59:05 am

I have Boris Continuum and the dead pixel remover in that worked a treat on a recent film. Only problem was stabilising some shots where the dead pixel moved. I found it easier to bake in the pixel remover and then do the stabilising. I am sure there is a way to transfer the tracking info to the pixel removal but I didn't have time to experiment.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Removing Hot Pixels Effectively
on Jan 25, 2016 at 3:10:23 pm

if you do a search for cloning with resolve, you can find a technique where you duplicate a shot onto layer 2, window it and reposition the contents of that shot over by a pixel or two. I'm not sure if you would be able to narrow your window down to a small enough section or not, but its worth a try for a "free" fix.

Cloning the adjacent pixels is usually the best way to fix dead pixels.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]