FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion Tracking + Text

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nobe Gamo
Motion Tracking + Text
on Jan 17, 2016 at 3:51:19 pm

I am a beginner at using davinci resolve 12 and it all seems quite daunting. I am also unaware of all the technical lingo ;D

I wish to acheive the following effect

. I would like for my text to follow a 3D tracked point. I have no idea where to begin and have only just installed Davinci Resolve 12 recently!

Please help!

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
Re: Motion Tracking + Text
on Jan 17, 2016 at 5:03:00 pm

This can only be done with 2D text with Resolve as far as I know;

-Create the text in davinci (and if so turn the text into a compound clip) or import the text as an image file with alpha.
-On the 'background' shot, create a new version with no grades
-Use manual tracking features to track the object using the stabilise tool (and select what you are tracking in terms of pan/tilt/rotate etc)
-In the gallery page right click and select 'use timeline keyframes'
-grab still of tracked shot
-apply still to text/image layer to be composited
-in stabilisation window, select -100 'strong'
-re-apply original grade of background shot.

That should invert the stabilisation and perform the equivalent of a match move. Worth pointing out that if there is much 3d movement, the text will still only be 2D. Until Resolve supports 3d files (unlikely), I don't think you can do what you can in something like After Effects (which is the video reference you pointed to!).

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Jan 18, 2016 at 8:35:04 pm

Cant thus be done with plugins or usi f the free verion of fusio. I think that even hitfilm can accept 3d files and do 3d tracking.

Ricardo Marty

Return to posts index

Michael Sasser
on Mar 10, 2016 at 7:46:23 am

Hey! I haven't found a single other post anywhere on the internet that talks about tracking text in Resolve.

I've created text in resolve, then made it a compound clip. Now it is just completely black except for the text. It blocks the clips below it.

I've stabilized the clip. I've clicked "Use timeline Keyframes." I've grabbed the still of the tracked shot. Applying the still to the text, doesn't do anything, the trackers/keyframes don't copy over.

Where am I going wrong?

Return to posts index

Jan Turowski
on Dec 4, 2016 at 12:28:28 am

Hey Michael!

I applied Toby's concept and am quite pleased with the results. ☺
What can I help you with?

Jan

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Dec 5, 2016 at 11:11:56 pm

[Michael Sasser] "I've created text in resolve, then made it a compound clip. Now it is just completely black except for the text. It blocks the clips below it. "
Did you adjust the compositing controls so that the black drops out and the background image pops through?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]