FORUMS: list search recent posts

Davinci Resolve AVCHD Import Issue

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nikhil Nath
Davinci Resolve AVCHD Import Issue
on Jan 15, 2016 at 3:00:43 am

Why does Resolve give me really bad preview?
The iMac is a 3.4 Ghz i5 with 8Gb DDR3 RAM 2 GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 775M.
We're doing a closing AV for an event.
The same footage is being played with Quicktime player without showing pixels.
What could be wrong?

Return to posts index

David Baud
Re: Davinci Resolve AVCHD Import Issue
on Jan 15, 2016 at 3:46:44 am

I am not sure you can compare playing a movie in Quicktime player and Resolve: both applications have different resources need, Resolve being higher. Are you playing your footage from internal or external drives? To see if this is a problem with the codec, I would try to rewrap your AVCHD footage using a program like EditReady to Quicktime file .mov

David Baud
Post & VFX
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

Nikhil Nath
on Jan 15, 2016 at 4:47:54 am

The footage is in interval drive. Isn't resolve compatible with .mts files? I wasn't comparing, I was just asking why can't resolve open these sortta files.

Return to posts index

David Baud
on Jan 15, 2016 at 5:11:39 am

I would try to play your footage from a fast external drive and see if you still have the same issues. If you still have the same trouble I would try to re-wrap your footage: yes .mts file are recognized by Resolve, but in my experience they are still some issues (i.e TC & spanning clip) and I am wondering if on a basic system like yours, the format is more demanding on your system?? just some ideas...

David Baud
Post & VFX
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris

Return to posts index

Nikhil Nath
on Jan 15, 2016 at 8:23:58 am

I tried to import the same footages from a USB 3.0 drive.
That's all I have here. It's still showing the same error.
How'd you re-wrap mts files? I mean can you tell me a way?

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jan 15, 2016 at 4:45:48 pm

The issue is with the extra core processing that it takes to reconstruct a Long-GOP format... easy enough in a Player-only application, which Resolve is not. Have you tried proxy or optimized media as a workflow?

If you do decide to re-wrap your acquisition format for post, there is a wide range of conversion programs, starting with Adobe Media Encoder, Avid Transcode, Apple Compressor... ffmpeg, maybe even Telestream Switch, Episode...
The search string "Media Transcode" will yield about 809,000 hits.

The premise is to get your media into an intra framework so that the application isn't wasting most of its time just building the picture.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

David Baud
on Jan 15, 2016 at 7:32:35 pm

...what Joseph said.

Also have you checked your Resolve Preferences? In Video I/O and GPU, I will check CUDA and all the rest checked off. Under system you may want to test different Pre-allocated system memory, so you are not "starving" your system. Finally, I assume you are using Resolve 12, and it should not be an issue anymore, but maybe you want to change your Apple Display resolution (under System Preferences), and see if it affects Resolve behavior.

David Baud
Post & VFX
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]