FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to Create a Glow Effect Around a Figure in Resolve

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Petschulat
How to Create a Glow Effect Around a Figure in Resolve
on Jan 4, 2016 at 11:48:41 pm

I've taken a video of someone on a white background and used the qualifier tool to remove the white background. Now I would like to make that person "glow" around the edges of their figure.

I'm familiar with Photoshop- if this were Photoshop I would add an "Outer Glow" layer style to the layer of the cut out figure. However I'm pretty stumped as to how to achieve a similar effect in Resolve, or if it's even possible. Can anyone give me any advice on how to go about doing this sort of thing? Will I need to use After Effects or OpenFX within Resolve? For the record, I'm using Resolve 12.

Thanks so much for any feedback! I've been lurking on this forum for a long time as I've started to learn video editing and its been immensely helpful in helping me do what I need to do! :)

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: How to Create a Glow Effect Around a Figure in Resolve
on Jan 5, 2016 at 5:58:20 pm

[Sam Petschulat] "Can anyone give me any advice on how to go about doing this sort of thing? Will I need to use After Effects or OpenFX within Resolve?"

Within Resolve, you have a couple of options. There will be a greater degree of control if you invest in an OFX plugin. There are many.

Do-it-yourself within the application would involve judicious use of keys and power windows. If you have removed the white bg, you might choose to keep some of it with an "outside softness" adjustment, or re-key the foreground and create a "glow" by doing a lift/gamma/gain adjustment in an "outside" node with softness and Inside/Outside ratio defining the extent of the glow. You may even be able to influence the color of the glow with this technique. That was my approach before OFX was supported.

There may be some "edge detection" OFX plugins available that might be worth exploring as well.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Sam Petschulat
Re: How to Create a Glow Effect Around a Figure in Resolve
on Jan 5, 2016 at 7:13:38 pm

great thanks so much for the detailed info! another question i'm having is, would this sort of thing be much easier in Adobe Premier or After Effects?

- sam p

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]