Davinci Resolve crashes out after upgrade from 9 to 11

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoff Johnston
Davinci Resolve crashes out after upgrade from 9 to 11
on Dec 31, 2015 at 7:17:15 pm

Hi everyone,

Best wishes for the upcoming new year!

I'd like to end here, but I have some whining to do.

Yesterday I upgraded from Davinci Resolve 9 Lite to Davinci Resolve 11 full suite and now it crashes every time I load my old projects. The crash happens instantly after my old projects load up.

This is catastrophic because my bread and butter as well as blood and sweat are in every one of those projects, and I'm going to have to keep working on them in any case.

Has anyone had this problem before and been able to stop the new program from crashing?

If there is no solution to this, then can someone help me properly downgrade back to version 9 Lite if I still have the install files?

I'm on Mac OS X 10.9.4, Macbook pro early 2011 with an AMD Radeon HD 6750M

Return to posts index

Geoff Johnston
Re: Davinci Resolve crashes out after upgrade from 9 to 11
on Jan 3, 2016 at 3:04:41 pm

Ok, I just figured out that to downgrade all I had to do was to run the installer for Resolve 9 Lite again, which is very unusual since most applications don't have the same user friendly option of going back. Had I been a more rational and pragmatic user, then I would have never tried to install version 9 Lite without uninstalling version 11 first, and hence I would have never found out that downgrading is as simple as running the installer of the former program.

I'm really happy that I can work on all my projects again, however this still didn't solve the issue I am having after upgrading to Davinci Resolve 11. The new program crashes when I load any of my projects, and I haven't been able to find a solution to this anywhere.

if someone has had this issue after upgrading to Resolve 11 on a mac, let me know, even if you didn't find a solution. I would still be interested to know that I am not the only one who has this bug.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jan 3, 2016 at 5:54:46 pm

first things first, before your next upgrade, export your projects so you have an archive of them in V9 format. If you do manage to open the project in 11, save it, and then decide to go back you will be screwed.

Have you tried downloading a version of 10 to see it it will run for you.

Your graphics card might not be the best match for resolve. Have you checked the recommended hardware listings for 11? Quite often the graphics card is the source of a lot of issues.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Geoff Johnston
on May 15, 2016 at 1:24:56 pm

That's a good point glenn, I guess I got lucky and didn't get an opportunity to save in v11.

I have seen numerous examples of Resolve 11 working fine on systems identical to mine (Macbook Pro 15") so It's not a graphics card issue.

Has anyone had their pfojects crash after upgrading V9 to V11?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 15, 2016 at 11:23:33 pm

I have had a weird thing of Resolve crashing when I open a big fat project first up after booting. When that happens I load a new untitled and then load the project over that and it seems to work.

Try loading a blank project first and then the one you really want over that. Save and then backup if it opens properly

Return to posts index

Geoff Johnston
on May 26, 2016 at 12:19:45 pm

I can load a new project without the program crashing. The problem occurs when I load a Resolve 9 Lite project in Resolve 11.

Thank you for the tip though, I'll use that workaround if happen to encounter the same problem as you had.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]