FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7.0.3 to DaVinci RoundTrip

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Engel
FCP 7.0.3 to DaVinci RoundTrip
on Dec 23, 2015 at 2:28:52 pm

Hi Guys,

Following problem: I finished my feature Doc Film, exported an XML Type 5 from FCP7 to DaVinci, all came in good.
Now, my colorist send me some tests, getting it back into 7, but unfortunately it only reLinks to half of the Clips,
due to name inconsistency and also the clips come in wrong scale and Ratio.

Any idea how to proper flow back to FCP7?

thanx.

Sascha

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: FCP 7.0.3 to DaVinci RoundTrip
on Dec 23, 2015 at 6:07:53 pm

Export a single file from Resolve. This is why color correction/grading have traditionally been done ONLY when picture is locked.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Dec 23, 2015 at 6:37:38 pm

I do that usually, but in this case it is not an option:
Several transitions and FX have to be re inserted, which need handles.
I did on my system a test (still having DaVinci 10 there) and with the option "Export for FCP" it came in good (just had to re size all HD material.
The SD Material came in resized correctly.

But my colorist works with DaVinci 12, and for some reason it comes back way more problematic.

Greetings,

Sascha Engel
KINO KITCHEN Studio
http://kinokitchen.foliohd.com/
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Dec 24, 2015 at 5:58:57 pm

[Sascha Engel] "also the clips come in wrong scale and Ratio."

This could be as a result of the way resolve treats input scaling on import and then re-applies (or does not) rescale the clips according to PTRZ transforms in the FCP Motion tab. So you ether get double-scaling, the correct scaling, or no scaling, which may or may not be re-applied once you get the XML back in FCP.

A lot of people still operate the export roundtrip the way David advises -- if they can't cope with all the possibilities of how the source media has been treated in all the different ways that the NLEs follow the beat of their own drummers. To be honest, even sharing projects between users will yield the same kinds of problems, for example if one editor simply cannot bear the thought of using the usual set of fonts installed in a system and has to go find obscure typography that is a) unidentifiable, b) expensive when you do figure out what it is and where to buy it, c) replaced with AbadiMT by default and blows away all the careful kerning, leading and placement that was so lovingly executed. So when OFX transition "Film flashover with scratches, fogging and weave" isn't supported by Application B, either you have to do it again, or work around it.

Pick your poison.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Dec 28, 2015 at 10:42:26 am

Hi All,

We managed, all came in good. Was just fiddling the right settings and tune FCP & DV to each other.
Only the Gorilla Grain was not rendered into the clip, but came on V2 as separate file back into FCP, but could be added easily there as well in Overlay Composite mode.

If anybody has the same situation, make sure you use following setting, when exporting from DaVinci:

- Choose Export to FCP, not the XML roundtrip option.

- Choose Unique File name, with Prefix, not Suffix.

Greetings,

Sascha

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]