FORUMS: list search recent posts

mixing frame rates

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
mixing frame rates
on Dec 14, 2015 at 5:40:56 am

Is there an issue with mixing frame rates in resolve? I've got a multicam edit that is 29.97 except one camera that is 23.98. I ported the project over from FCP X so I could do better color correction, and everything seemed perfect until you look at the 24p camera and it's all out of sync. The clips play back faster in the bin too.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: mixing frame rates
on Dec 15, 2015 at 4:42:35 pm

[Bret Williams] "The clips play back faster in the bin too."

Clue #1.

Your 24 fps media is being treated as 29.97, and then Resolve is doing what it does, which is count frames without regard for what the actual framebase might be. Depending on the version you are running, there is provision in the XML import dialog to invoke a routine that will account for differing frame rates within a timeline. You may also be able to change the frame rate of the source clip in the Media Browser Inspector.

The Central Scrutinizer has that power.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 15, 2015 at 5:07:02 pm

Yes it was FCPXML and the choice for using differing frame rates was set to FCPX in the XML import.

But yes, you are correct. It is playing the frames natively. So it's not actually treating them as any frame rate at all. Just frames. If I set the project output to be 29.97 it plays them too quickly because it's playing them at 29.97. If I put them in a 29.97 timeline, same thing. Unless I set the playback to be 23.98 and then of course they're the only clips playing correctly. It's simply conforming frames to frames 1:1. That's ridiculous. I'll try another XML import. I haven't used resolve for a real true edit yet. So this is all good learning.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 15, 2015 at 10:11:16 pm

This also brings up a good question. Why is there a pull-down menu setting for timeline frame rate, and then right underneath it a "playback" frame rate FILL-IN box? Isn't that just asking for trouble? I get it that it's great to be able to play back at a different frame rate (ok, I really don't, seems pointless) and options are always good, but this is poor interface design. It shouldn't be a fill in box, but a pull down that defaults to "same as timeline frame rate" with other standard frame rate choices and then at the bottom "custom" where THEN a custom field box appears or becomes active.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Dec 16, 2015 at 5:57:39 am

[Bret Williams] "I've got a multicam edit that is 29.97 except one camera that is 23.98."

Out of curiosity, is this a format that has discrete timecode or is it one of those DSLR-type media streams that has an inferred count?

As far as the discretionary output display frame rate goes, how that decision was made was above my pay grade as they say. However, there are advantages to being able to do it, for example in a plant that has a standard internal distribution, like a TV station that might be 29.97 everywhere, or if the final output was going to be interlaced, so that potential sources of QA rejections were caught and fixed up front. I get a lot of half-tone graphics, which may look okay on the 4K 24P screen, but is singing like a flock of canaries on the broadcast output.

Its my story and I'm sticking to it.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]