FORUMS: list search recent posts

easyDCP and davinci resolve workflow

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rakib Uddin Rana
easyDCP and davinci resolve workflow
on Dec 4, 2015 at 5:19:39 pm

Hello guys,
I have some questions, Hope someone can guide me.
I have done grading of a film using davinci resolve (it's in 2K resolution 2048x1152). Now i have to make a 2K Flat (1998x1080)dcp. We have easyDCP creator+ in our facility. So, i need to export the film as dpx or tiff image sequence from resolve, right?

Now the things i would like to know...

1. should I export the sequence (from resolve) with the native frame size (2048x1152) or DCI size (1998x1080)??

2. After exporting the image sequence do I need to convert Again the dpx's or tiff's to J2K with the "easyDCP standalone JPEG 2000 Trasncoder" then import to "easyDCP Creator+"??
OR, i should import the dpx's tiff's sequence directly to "easyDCP Creator+"??

Hope i will get some proper guidance.
Thanks to all & sorry for my bad english.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: easyDCP and davinci resolve workflow
on Dec 4, 2015 at 9:12:00 pm

[Rakib Uddin Rana] "1. should I export the sequence (from resolve) with the native frame size (2048x1152) or DCI size (1998x1080)??"

Here's a tutorial that starts with HD 1920x1080 to make a "flat" 1998 DCP package:

http://www.easydcp.com/support-videos.php

Because both formats are 16x9, (2048 and 1920), you will be scaling and/or pillarboxing at some stage, either out of the DCP creator or Resolve whether you export a dpx sequence or a completed DCP package, depending on how you wish to manage the vertical resolution.

If you are absolutely using easyDCP Creator+ to make the final DCP, my own impulse is to export a full-frame 2K dpx sequence and let the authoring software do the jp2K conversion. This might also un-complicate your audio track assignment configuration, as Resolve is not particularly flexible in this regard.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Rakib Uddin Rana
on Dec 5, 2015 at 5:41:32 am
Last Edited By Rakib Uddin Rana on Dec 5, 2015 at 5:08:28 pm

Many thanks Joseph for a quick reply.

But as a novice I need To be clear one thing that there is a software called "easyDCP Standalone JPEG 2000 Transcoder" bundled with the easyDCP Package. Do i need to convert the dpx with that? Or I just import the dpx to "easyDCP Creator+" and it will handle the dpx by itself?
Is there any quality or playback issues will happen between these two type of conversion?

Thanks..

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Dec 7, 2015 at 3:57:21 am

[Rakib Uddin Rana] "Do i need to convert the dpx with that? Or I just import the dpx to "easyDCP Creator+" and it will handle the dpx by itself?
Is there any quality or playback issues will happen between these two type of conversion?
"

My understanding (I do not use easyDCP myself) is that Creator is capable of converting a dpx sequence -- it likely calls an imbedded converter which, given the manufacturer, will be indistinguishable from its standalone application. A bit like exporting a file from Premiere -- you can either choose to export directly out of the timeline or call Adobe Media Encoder --same application, just going through a different door in the house.

The forum can correct me on this if it is not the case.

You might be interested in reading a recent blog by a prominent post supervisor on the premise of this type of resolution conversion -- search for "2K is a crock."

Make very sure you are using the proper 0-100 video range.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]