FORUMS: list search recent posts

DaVinci Avid Roundtrip - Can not relink once back in Avid

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Fiennes
DaVinci Avid Roundtrip - Can not relink once back in Avid
on Dec 4, 2015 at 11:54:04 am

Hi all,

Hoping to find some info and help on the following.

I am using this tutorial to try and roundtrip from Avid Mc8.4.2 through Resolve 11 (or 12) using tis tutorial .

Unfortunately we had to start in haste so I was not able to implements the metadata workflow described from the outset.

I can get the sequence to relink in resolve using the the following method

Conform and transcode to Dnx185x in Avid.
Change Meta in LINK and Aux 2 TC tracks in new Dnx185x master clips
Export AAF
Grade in Resolve
Deliver back out of resolve at Dnx185x to a new media files folder
Import databse file from Avid media files structure into bin

Where I fall down is at the relink stage. I have tried every permutation and i just says it can't do it

Any ideas. The tutorial is using AMA clips from the outset , a luxury I do not have

thanks

W

Freelance Assistant Editor / Post Production Op / Learning to Shoot asap!!

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: DaVinci Avid Roundtrip - Can not relink once back in Avid
on Dec 4, 2015 at 8:52:04 pm

[Will Fiennes] "Deliver back out of resolve at Dnx185x to a new media files folder
Import databse file from Avid media files structure into bin"

Why would you not be using the exported AAF that Resolve can either create (new) or modify (the original MC AAF) to complete the round trip?

Importing the mdb is more like a last-ditch effort to call the media into a new Media Composer project, but there is unlikely to be a timeline associated with it.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Dec 5, 2015 at 1:25:36 am

My guess is that you did not set the conform options in Resolve correctly, and as a result either you don't have a tape name, or you have an incorrect one. Look on the media page and see what's listed under Reel. If it's either empty or has the same name for every shot, you need to set the conform options to extract the reel name from the file header (if you're using MXF source from Avid). That should allow you to relink in Avid by "timecode" and "source file ID or tape name."

There is no magic to Avid relinking. It only uses two criteria, and with MXF's that means timecode and tape name. If they match, it will relink. If they don't, it won't. It's that simple. File names are irrelevant.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Dec 6, 2015 at 5:43:31 pm

Go back to your Resolve output tab.

did you select round trip as your preset?

If so, then Resolve will automatically create a new aaf upon completion of the output. This aaf, is usually either with the media it created, or 1 layer up...(seems to bounce around on my system) is what you need to import into avid to get avid looking for the newly created media. Essentially, this new aaf keeps all the information from your original Avid timeline, and adds the new file names of the rendered media from the Resolve output.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]