FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitoring LUFs in resolve (Audio)

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adam jenns
Monitoring LUFs in resolve (Audio)
on Nov 30, 2015 at 2:37:33 pm

Hi,

Could anyone throw some light on monitoring audio in LUF's in resolve? I assume it's not something that's built in so are there 3rd party meters I can buy?

Thanks in advance.

Adam

Mainframe London

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Monitoring LUFs in resolve (Audio)
on Nov 30, 2015 at 5:01:23 pm

Resolve should support VST plugins so try one that supports that. Try a demo.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 30, 2015 at 11:42:44 pm

iZotope Insight is an excellent VST plugin for loudness measuring and monitoring.

If you are using Resolve as a serious broadcast finishing tool then I highly recommend having iZoptope RX5 software at hand. It will not only give you VST tools for measuring a variety of loudness scales it also has as a standalone a simple compliance for any of the standards with precise level controls including excellent peak level limiting and pitch length control for 24/25 versioning. Only caveat is that it is stereo only but many of us are pushing them to be able to handle multi channel.

Return to posts index

Simon Billington
on Dec 16, 2015 at 10:37:58 am

Yeah Insight is a great meter, a little on the expensive side however. That's because it offers many features.

A cheaper, simpler alternative that I know of and also possess is the Waves WLM. It doesn't have all the various metering displays of Insight, but it does offer all the info you usually need, especially when it comes to loudness measuring. It even features a trim function and a True Peak limiter just to ensure the signal doesn't go past 0dB.

LUFS is basically a measurement of loudness information as opposed to peak information that we have become accustomed to working with digital. The problem with peak metering is it can only indicate how far we are away from clipping a signal or how loud a very percussive signal is, but isn't much help at indicating how loud the overall lever of a signal really is.

LUFS are measured the same way as Peak metering, in decibels, starting with 0db as the loudest possible signal, then moving down from there to the quietest. The real difference is it has a much more slower response time, very similar to the old RMS meters in the analogue days, in some respect. Because of its response characteristics it more accurately represents the way the ear interprets a signal and measures the loudness on an overall level.

A good average loudness level for a signal should be around -18 to -21dB, thereabouts. It doesn't have to be exact. You should also aim for most of your percussive peak signals, like drums or gunshots to hit between roughly -3 to -6dB.

Every time you put the audio signal through a process such as eq or compression, you also want to make sure that it comes out sounding roughly just as loud as it was before it went in to the process, that's called gain staging.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 16, 2015 at 11:57:05 pm

To be compliant for broadcasters you need to be able to measure all the various delivery loudnesses. Having mixed over 900 broadcast docos I can usually tell just by listening but I also use dynamics control to compress and peak limit the signals. Usually I get within the +-1db range but I need both the peak metering and the LUF metering to know if I am compliant. Using iZotope insight as a VST plugin in Resolve you can measure and therefore adjust for different international standards of loudness. There is no one standard.

I am also using the new RX5 advanced to run a stereo mix through their loudness module to make it absolutely compliant for both loudness and maximum peak. Without tools to both measure and control dynamics you will find it near impossible to get all that right in Resolve.

Return to posts index

Simon Billington
on Dec 18, 2015 at 3:54:23 am

Yep that's true. I'm in Australia and our standard here is OP59, which is closely based on the R-128.

I do own RX Advanced myself, which is also how I got Insight which I do use also but I also use that WLM meter I spoke about also. As I said i like the Trim and the Inter-Sample Peak limiter on to for safety reasons.

It also has a preset for OP59, so it was very simple for me to jump straight in and use. Of course I can set the same up on Insight, but I'd have to go digging around for the specifics first, since iZotope don't really factor Australia in as among their customers.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Dec 18, 2015 at 5:09:18 am

[Simon Billington] "Of course I can set the same up on Insight, but I'd have to go digging around for the specifics first, since iZotope don't really factor Australia in as among their customers."
Have you tried emailing iZotope for support? I've found they're pretty responsive.

Return to posts index

Simon Billington
on Dec 18, 2015 at 7:50:42 am

Oh its no issue for me. I have WLM after all. It also requires less DSP which can be an advantage at times.

I could even copy the settings over to Insight if I so desire.

Return to posts index

adam jenns
on Mar 18, 2016 at 11:23:16 am

Hi Simon,

I've bought and installed waves wlm. I can see the waves effects in the resolve audio effects panel but can't find anywhere to launch the wlm UI. I have fired off a ticket to their customer support but not heard anything back. Any advice gratefully received!!

Cheers, adam

MAINFRAME [design, motion graphics animation]

24-28a Hatton Wall, London, EC1N 8JH

T :: 020 7404 1666
F :: 020 7404 2666
E :: adam@mainframe.co.uk
W :: http://www.mainframe.co.uk

Return to posts index

Simon Billington
on Mar 18, 2016 at 12:20:40 pm

You know what... I just discovered the same issue too. I can't believe i over looked this.

I usually use this particular plugin in an audio app, where i finalise all my audio. I just new that the plugins worked in Resolve and all the parameters came up. This isn't just a Waves issue, but none of my AudioUnits seem to be opening their UIs.

I think this is a bit of an oversight on Blackmagic's behalf.

It's my believe they are very good in timely updates and bug fixes. Mention this one to them and I'm pretty sure it will get a look at. After all how can you use a professional metering plugin if you can't even see the meters!?!?

Sorry I can't be of more help at this point. I might just mention this to support myself to add weight to the issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]