Seth Thy
Strange fields issue with FCP7/Resolve 11
on Nov 25, 2015 at 7:55:41 am

Hi,
I'm grading a documentary, it was edited in FCP7 as:

Compressor: XDCAM 1080i50
Editing timebase: 25 fps
Field dominance: Upper

I've imported .xml in Resolve, checked 'Enable Field Processing' box in the project settings, graded material, checked 'Field Rendering' box on the Deliver page, render it as single file ProRes 422.
And I got final interlaced file.
But, when I sent it back and they opened it in FCP, we discovered that it looks different than original sequence in FCP. Original sequence actually looks like progressive on computer monitor (no combing) even though settings are upper field (as I wrote earlier) and we realized it looks better that way.
So I tried to render it again in Resolve (hoping I'm gonna get same result as original sequence in FCP), I've unchecked "Enable Field Processing' and 'Field Rendering', but I got same interlaced footage.

Is there something I don't know about how FCP or Resolve work with fields? Or how they showing i50 footage?

Seth

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Strange fields issue with FCP7/Resolve 11
on Nov 25, 2015 at 2:58:51 pm

Whether the field order became reversed o can't say without examining the material, but what I can tell you without looking is that you cannot judge ANYTHING about fields on a computer monitor, you can only gauge proper field order by displaying on a true video monitor with the signal output from an I/O card or device. Most interlaced video is routinely deinterlaced for when encoded for the web because computer displays cannot properly display fields.

You will need to track back to the original footage to see if it was ALL translated properly when imported by the original editor(s), and you really must do that using a real video monitor to make certain. In a documentary with many different sources, this is time consuming, but must be done on a shot by shot basis.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 26, 2015 at 1:12:44 am

Is it possible that the footage was psf. It may be that the Resolve project needs to be set to psf and rendered with that.

Return to posts index

Seth Thy
on Nov 27, 2015 at 12:01:03 pm

Hi Michael,
that's good idea. I didn't think of that...
I guess you mean that it is shot as psf?
Do you know how they can check that on Mac? Cause I don't remember any settings for psf in FCP7.

Regards
Seth

Return to posts index

Seth Thy
on Nov 27, 2015 at 11:52:25 am

Hi David,
I agree about computer monitor. I've just sent my broadcast monitor to service, it will come back next week. The editor doesn't have broadcast monitor, he's working on 2 Apple Cinema displays and using one for preview.
But anyway, it's weird that image looks progressive when source and sequence is upper filed...
You right, it could be that it is not translated properly. I'l ask them to check.

Seth

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]