FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Manage in Resolve "Failed" on first clip

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Haine
Media Manage in Resolve "Failed" on first clip
on Nov 24, 2015 at 6:25:20 pm

Hey Folks,

Working on my first Digital Bolex project and having trouble getting the "Media Manage" tool to work.

It's 1.5TB of raw data, but the estimator says it'll be down to around 450GB after copy and trim.

However, it keeps failing, but not really giving me any other error message that might explain why.

Any ideas?

thanks,
Charles

CharlesHaineColorist.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Media Manage in Resolve "Failed" on first clip
on Nov 24, 2015 at 11:43:45 pm

Can Resolve trim DNG Raw? Might need to check with Blackmagic or the manual.

Return to posts index

Charles Haine
on Nov 25, 2015 at 1:37:46 pm

re: "can resolve do that," since CinemaDNG from the Digital Bolex is just an image sequence, just a folder full of files, they have to be able to do that, right? I mean, it's just a bunch of stills, so it would mean only copying over just the used files.

re: "log," I can't remember when (or if)I had to pull an error log before for Resolve; is there an easy introduction online on how to do that? I'm sure it's somewhere on the forum, I'll dig around, but if somebody has a quick link that would be great.

I'm also wondering if it's just a problem with the hard drive itself: for instance, if sectors on the drive are dying, and Resolve is trying to do a checksum verification but can't verify the info on the file being copied, it might "fail" to copy. The client went for the absolutely cheapest of hard drives, despite my advice to get something better, and I can't copy over the entire 6TB project to my drives, so I was hoping to use Media Manage to get the media onto a RAID.

thanks,
Ch:H

CharlesHaineColorist.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 26, 2015 at 1:16:05 am

[Charles Haine]" just a folder full of files, they have to be able to do that, right? I mean, it's just a bunch of stills, so it would mean only copying over just the used files."

I wouldn't assume it was that simple, but it may well just be a bug.

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Nov 25, 2015 at 6:23:02 am

Can you capture logs, and post it here, or send it to the BMD support email?

Return to posts index

Mike Parfit
on Nov 26, 2015 at 2:09:17 am

I've experienced the same thing. Unexplained failures.

(Just to be clear, that's just in reference to Resolve, not about life in general.)

After a lot of attempts, removing a few clips at a time, I narrowed the problem to a few JPEG stills. I can't figure out why those particular files caused grief, but I went through and took out all the JPEG stills in the timeline and replaced them with .mov files of the same images that I made with the Resolve delivery page (which had no difficulty with them). After that, the media management process worked fine. I haven't done a lot of it, though.

Cheers,

Mike

Return to posts index

Charles Haine
on Nov 26, 2015 at 2:26:42 am

Thanks for the helpful info, I'll be on the lookout for .jpgs in the future. I've had issues with them in the past, but had forgotten.

On this project, I ended up going into finder and seeing if I could move the files by hand that way, and there appear to be some corrupted .DNG files that won't even duplicate in the finder, so I suspect it's not an issue with Resolve have unexplained failure (or my life), but a mac issue that Resolve can't override. If you can't copy the file, you can't really media manage it.

CharlesHaineColorist.com

Return to posts index

Elain Liu
on Nov 30, 2015 at 9:27:08 am

Hi Charles,

Where do you store your .jpeg files? Are they on your OXS disk or remote disk?
Is there any special character in the file name, e.g. (, ), &, etc.?

Return to posts index

Charles Haine
on Nov 30, 2015 at 2:07:14 pm

Oh, there weren't any .jpg's in this project, it was in old projects.

In the end, it was the hard drive dying that caused the media manage issues. I copied over everything except the corrupt files, I got the corrupt .dng's sent to me directly by the client, and everything ended up working just fine. Working off the media managed version today!

CharlesHaineColorist.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]