FORUMS: list search recent posts

need information for project settings?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sachin Desai
need information for project settings?
on Nov 16, 2015 at 12:54:38 pm

I am editing a regional film for a theatrical resale. I also need to color correct it in resolve.

what should be my workflow and what resolution and aspect ratio i should choose to edit and final color grading the film and final delivery

regards

sachin

Sachin Desai

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: need information for project settings?
on Nov 17, 2015 at 9:01:06 am

Get the specs from the distributor first, and make sure all your deliverable files (sound and picture) meet the contract.

When in doubt, hire an experienced post supervisor who has been through this before. The choice of aspect ratio may be dictated by the distributor -- there are some cable channels that are reluctant to show 2.40 letterbox and demand 1.78 HD.

A book could easily be written on the complications of workflow for a complex feature. Even a simple feature is not so easy.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Nov 18, 2015 at 3:15:08 am

[Marc Wielage] "Get the specs from the distributor"

That is the key. Once you have that document, then it will be time to negotiate what is possible and what is "Peanut M&M's but no brown ones" and what they really need. If its a theatrical, the list will extend way beyond the movie itself. They may want a DCP, they may want a DCDI, they may want audio stems... subtitles...

At a guess, establishing the base resolution is probably what you are asking -- I'd take a wild stab at 2048 but I'm not the distributor. Could just as easily wind up at 1998.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Sachin Desai
on Nov 18, 2015 at 4:08:14 am

thanks for the reply.

I was confused about to the base edit.. now there is multiple format issue also. some part of it is shot on 4k with red dragon. and some part of it is shot on Canon 1DC 4k.

I need to deliver it in 2k so was just confused for 2.35:1 / 2.39:1

I need to give DPX with separate wav files. than they will do print or dcp or whatever needed.

I think for print they ask 2.35:1 (not cropped) and dcp is 2.39:1 cropped.

But yes you are right need to ask distributor, I am editing it in 4k. my confusion is for resolve what should be my project settings for resolve for output.

I've one more question as you are experienced colorist.

I did a music video shot on BMD Cinema 4k. I edited it 2k dci cropped setting in fcpx. i color graded it in resolve and sent back to fcp in same 2k dci cropped. but in resolve the files are scaled down in time line. the rendered file from resolve are correctly rendered in 2048x585.

I don't know what I did wrong.

fcp setting 2048x858
resolve setting 2k dci cropped.
imported xml and ignored sizing and cropped in resolve
graded it and exported back to fcpx.

any suggestion??

thanks for your reply..
Sachin

Sachin Desai

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Nov 18, 2015 at 5:02:33 am

There is no real difference between 2.39 and 2.35 -- we're talking 6 pixels top and bottom, not enough to matter. My advice is to just use 2.39 if you have to deliver to both theatrical and home video and live with it.

A 2.39 delivery should be 2048x858, which is pretty standard for 2K theatrical. I have no idea where the 585 is coming from. At worst, you could change the project settings to a 2048x858 timeline and set the render options to Match Timeline Settings for no surprises. Be sure to remove all letterbox blanking during the render.

Return to posts index

Sachin Desai
on Nov 18, 2015 at 5:37:18 am

Oh... 585 is a typing mistake i did....

from resolve it renders 2048x858 as output but when i open the timeline in fcp x it shows like this i tried to match the timeline settings but fcp x doesn't recognize the clip 2048x858 size and asks me to choose

i know i am doing something wrong here but can't figure it out !!!

Sachin Desai

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Nov 18, 2015 at 10:54:21 am

You're on your own with FCPX. My workaround would be to finish entirely in Resolve.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]