FORUMS: list search recent posts

Achieving acceptable playback for Multicam Editing

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Florian Saurwein
Achieving acceptable playback for Multicam Editing
on Nov 15, 2015 at 8:52:18 pm

Hello everyone,
i need your help with Davinci Resolve 12. Having done a 3 hour-long 5-cam shoot yesterday, i hoped that I could edit everything in Resolve with its new editing features, because i heard that it would drop frame rates to maintain real-time audio playback. But i now know that this is not true. I should have tried it out before, i know... Although i want to upgrade to a fancier Desktop system in the near future, i still have to get this done with my old, low-performance laptop asap. I tried out optimized media, but even at the lowest codec setting, AVC LB and quarter res, it still takes forever to render and out of 8GB of AVCHD footage, it makes 50 Gigabytes ?!?. Now it would be ok if i had a jerky playback, but at 2-3fps it would take forever to edit and become really boring.
Now I thought that i could render some really bad quality proxies outside Reaolve or in Resolve, loading it into a new project. I already went through this procedure once, but it was really big mess and I actually don't want to do that again. But i think it's manageable with good organization if it's the only option.
I would like to see what you think. Maybe you can tell me how to do it better, i would really appreaciate your replies.

some data:
cameras
GH4 in 2160p25 (100mbit) .mov H.264
Canon EOS 700D 1080p25 .mov H.264
Sony HDR-PJ320E 1080p50 AVC HD
2x GoPro Hero 3 Black 2.7k/1080p25 .mp4 H.264

computer
Acer Aspire 4752G
8GB RAM
i5 1st generation 2.53Ghz
nVidia GeForce GT-420M w/ 1GB VRAM
fresh system on Samsung Evo 850 250GB
750GB WD blue for footage
Windows 10 Home
Davinci Resolve 12

thank you again, Have a great day

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
Re: Achieving acceptable playback for Multicam Editing
on Nov 16, 2015 at 1:21:58 am

Hi Florian

All your source media is the worst type for editing as it heavily compressed or relies on a lot of CPU and the laptop is significantly under powered. You also need to consider that for multicam editing each source needs its individual full bandwidth from disk to the CPU to then decompress, downsize, optimise etc and a lower power laptop with one drive is not going to cut it.

I recommend reviewing all source footage one at a time and selecting the good takes. Render those to DNxHD and then try to cut from there.

Return to posts index

Florian Saurwein
on Nov 16, 2015 at 2:15:49 pm

Thanks very much,
the problem is that there are no multiple takes, so i am going to use parts of every clip in the edit.
So with rendering to DNxHD, do you mean i should to use the Resolve internal optimized media option or render the seperately with much lower bitrate?

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Nov 17, 2015 at 8:59:03 am

I'm not convinced Florian's drive is fast enough, either. You're going to need a reasonably fast RAID to get decent performance even out of HD. A stock USB3 drive will not be fast enough. Run the Blackmagic Speed Test app and see how it looks.

You would also get faster performance from a better GPU graphics card. My advice would be to do the transcoding yourself. DNxHD 175x should be more than enough for your camera source material.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]