FORUMS: list search recent posts

Possible to deliver alpha channel in Davinci Resolve Lite?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoff Johnston
Possible to deliver alpha channel in Davinci Resolve Lite?
on Oct 30, 2015 at 8:16:28 pm

Hi!

Is it possible to deliver (and import for that matter) a transparent video/alpha channel with Davinci Resolve Lite 9?

I'm doing some keying with AE but my footage was shot on a badly lit green screen so the way I want to make it look decent is to do a key with the "Source" replace method to keep the edges nice and neat. After that I want to export the subject as an alpha channel, then I want to import it to Resolve Lite so I can key out the green spill on the subject that way. I've looked endlessly in the deliver preferences but I haven't found an option/setting that enables it to deliver an alpha channel. Is it possible to do so?

Best regerds,
Joe Biden

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Possible to deliver alpha channel in Davinci Resolve Lite?
on Oct 31, 2015 at 4:05:14 am

No, I don't believe this is possible. Resolve 9 is also incredibly old and I think it's a bad idea to try to use today. You'd be much better off using software made to extract keys and alpha outputs like Mocha Pro, After Effects, Maya, and/or Fusion. There are techniques to go in and manually roto the edges to fix them, and it can be done in such a way that it's basically perfect. The only real limitation becomes matching the lighting and perspective.

BTW: I liked Resolve 9 back in the day and got a good chunk of work done on it, but I can't imagine stepping back in time 3 years from Resolve 12.

Return to posts index

Geoff Johnston
on Oct 31, 2015 at 3:05:13 pm
Last Edited By Geoff Johnston on Oct 31, 2015 at 3:08:12 pm

Is there a good tutorial somewhere for one of these manual roto techniques in After Effects?

I understand what you're saying about dated software, but I prefer to stick with 9 for now because I got good at working with it and I can't waste any time on getting used to the new interface, especially now that they've turned Resolve it into a hybrid non-linear editing suite. I'll install Resolve 12 when I have lots of free time to get acquainted with the new features, but right now I can rely on the fact that I know where all my settings are and that gives me stability i my workflow.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Oct 31, 2015 at 4:47:52 pm

Well you could set up a comp in Resolve where you are essentially keying you matte over black, and filling it with white. Export that as a quicktime, and bring it into AE as an external matte.

Fusion might be a better option.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Geoff Johnston
on Nov 1, 2015 at 11:17:53 am

That's a good idea Glenn, but my problem is that I would like to use Davinci Resolve for grading the key that I got from After Effects. When I key out the green screen behind my subject in AE, I am then left with a transparent background that has no information. I would like to do color correction on that video, the transparent one that I exported from AE. I need to use seperate software for keying and for grading.
Is Davinci Resolve 12 able to work with transparent videos/alpha channels or is my only option to put my badly lit subject on a background and grade him/her in the finished shot by using a mask around the subject?

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Nov 1, 2015 at 4:07:04 pm

That's the beauty of an external matte. Make it in Resolve, like I described above, or make it in After effects using the same technique. In Resolve you identify the clip as a matte when you import it into your media pool. Colour correct your fill as you see fit, and assign the matte to that clip in a node structure. Key from one source, fill from another, all inside one node. Very common workflow when using greenscreen, as you always want to colour your subject,while leaving your green screen cleaner for keying purposes.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Geoff Johnston
on Nov 2, 2015 at 10:59:35 am

Now everything makes sense, thanks for explaining that in detail Glenn. i should make a note of thinking out of the box when it comes to post production workflows, as it turns out I have all the capabilities I need right under my nose with just two pieces of software.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]