FORUMS: list search recent posts

long clips imported into media pool are partially black

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce Carter
long clips imported into media pool are partially black
on Oct 28, 2015 at 11:09:08 pm

I'm using Avid Media Composer 8.4.2 and DaVinci Resolve 11.3.1lite.018.

I AMA-linked to Canon C100 footage in AVCHD format. I transcoded that to DNxHD115 and cut my sequence. I exported an AAF file and imported that into DaVinci. In the media pool there is one clip that is partially black when it is scrubbed. In the edit page there are multiple clips that are black which are out of that media clip. This clip has a duration of 24:27:00.

This is also the case for another sequence I cut. In that sequence there is one media clip that is
24:39:00 long.

I searched the internet and could not find any solution although there are many reports of partially black
clips but no solution.

Did I do something wrong somewhere along the line?

Should I upgrade to DaVinci 12?

This is a show stopper. Don't want to go back to Symphony.

-bruce

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: long clips imported into media pool are partially black
on Oct 29, 2015 at 12:36:11 am

Bruce,

It's very difficult to say what the issue(s) are that you're experiencing. However, since the upgrade to ver. 12 is free, I would certainly recommend you give it a shot, as one of the biggest improvements in the "underpinnings" of Resolve, at least in my understanding, is it's improved file handling capabilities.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Bruce Carter
on Oct 29, 2015 at 4:58:00 pm

Now running v12 and same result. So it is not due to Resolve. Looking at the clip metadata to see if it can be fixed by adding a Reel # per a suggestion.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 29, 2015 at 5:49:00 pm

[Bruce Carter] "Looking at the clip metadata to see if it can be fixed by adding a Reel # per a suggestion."

That would have been my next suggestion as well - no reel #'s accounts for the majority of relinking issues I've helped to troubleshoot.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Bruce Carter
on Oct 29, 2015 at 5:57:58 pm

I tried two different ways to modify the Reel #.

First I selected the Name column, then Edit>Duplicate. Then selected Reel #. This fails with

the error message: No modifiable entries in column Reel #.

Second, I selected a Reel # column entry for a clip. The white box appears for data entry but

it will not accept any input.

So how do you modify the Reel # column?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 29, 2015 at 6:28:51 pm

I can't remember and I'm on the road. Maybe ask in a new thread? Or, change in another app first?

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Bruce Carter
on Oct 30, 2015 at 3:30:39 am

Here's an update as of tonight. It is looking like there is a bug in DaVinci Resolve. Will know more later. Took the media drive over to Blackmagic support in Burbank and they had a look at it. Whereas Avid and Premier are able to load and playback both the camera original files and the Avid transcoded files, Resolve is not. It is showing black frames on the long clips.

The whole notion of Reel # and TapeID and LINK and AuxTC2 and FPS and so on and on is a red herring.

As a workaround I am considering exporting a single movie file out of Avid since I have achieved edit lock for picture and sound. Then bring that into Resolve and use Scene Detection to slice, dice and grade.

Will update later.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 30, 2015 at 3:54:10 am

That is most certainly something that no one could ever expect. It just goes to show, from time to time, just when we think we've heard it all, we realize we know almost nothing.

Awesome discovery Bruce... So, are the guys in Burbank gonna have that fixed by 6am tomorrow? :)

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Oct 30, 2015 at 6:44:14 am

[Bruce Carter] " In the media pool there is one clip that is partially black when it is scrubbed. In the edit page there are multiple clips that are black which are out of that media clip. This clip has a duration of 24:27:00."

Is this source element composed of many "spanned" clips? I've hit this a couple of times with long takes.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Bruce Carter
on Oct 30, 2015 at 5:46:19 pm

Yes, believe that it is. In the problem clip I'm looking at is numbered 00006.mts when viewed in Resolve
and then the next one is 00009.mts.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 30, 2015 at 5:48:06 pm

Wait a sec, are you saying the BM tech support guys could not figure that one out?

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Bruce Carter
on Oct 30, 2015 at 5:51:16 pm

Not sure what you're asking David. The title they gave to the trouble ticket is: "Resolve C100 Spanned Clip Issue".

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 30, 2015 at 5:53:53 pm

It sounded as though your diagnosis changed between the post in which you first mentioned going to BM tech support and your latest post. That's all.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Bruce Carter
on Oct 30, 2015 at 6:02:09 pm

Well, they are actively working on it. I exchanged some email this morning. Hopefully it will be
accepted by the engineering group and a fix will be forthcoming. But in the meantime I have a
delivery to make so I'm going back to Symphony for this one.

Return to posts index

Bruce Carter
on Nov 8, 2015 at 12:19:49 am

While I wait for Blackmagic to respond to the bug submitted, I decided to try another approach. I tested what DaVinci calls a "Preconformed Flat Media File to EDL" workflow. With this approach I was successful. There are a couple of caveats though compared to a roundtrip workflow but in my case they aren't a roadblock.

Here it is in outline form.

Inputs: C100 AVCHD and 2nd system sound wav files.

Outputs: ProRes 422 QT movie files

Workflow process

On Avid:

AMA-link to C100 AVCHD original camera files

Transcode to DNxHD36

Edit and achieve Locked Picture/Sound

Export DNxHD36 flattened master QT file (Same-as-Source)

Output EDL (Note: use output format CMX_3600)

On DaVinci:

Import DNxHD36 flattened master QT file

Import EDL (Note: turn off Conform Setting "Assist using reel names")

Grade the project

Render out ProRes 422 QT master file

On Avid:

AMA-link to ProRes 422 QT master file

Edit trailer in same project as before

Export ProRes 422 QT trailer file (Same-as-Source)

Notes on the flattened master workflow

1. Tape names (Reel names in DaVinci) are not required and in fact must be ignored

2. Since this is not a roundtrip workflow it is essential to lock the picture and sound.

However, certain small changes could be made without too much effort.

3. This workflow is pretty fast to setup and accomplish compared to the many pitfalls

waiting to snag a roundtrip workflow.

4. In the "Color Correction Handbook - Second Edition" by Alexis Van Hurkman, on page 385, he

notes that HSL-Qualification corrections might shift at the baked-in dissolves.

5. In the DaVinci Resolve 12 User Manual, on page 540, mention of a Preconform button on the edit

page is made. This button does not exist.

Return to posts index

Bruce Carter
on Apr 7, 2016 at 8:51:29 pm

Just wanted to post an update I received from Blackmagic Design Support.

"So we do support c100 but we do not support spanned clips at this time (meaning that only the first part of the spanned clip will show up.

A great workaround (very fast too) is to use application called Clip Wrap or Edit Ready from Divergent Media. This will rewrap (meaning original video is put into a new container without transcoding) and extract all of the metadata from MTS and insert it into the QT .mov wrapper. It also combines spanned clips into one."

On my next C100 project I will buy the EditReady app ($50) and use it to prepare source files for
starting in either Avid or DaVinci.

-bruce

Return to posts index

Bruce Carter
on May 2, 2016 at 4:59:08 pm

Did some workflow testing with DaVinci 12.5b1 and the C100 spanned clips bug is still there.

Got EditReady and tried it out. Found out that ER cannot create .mxf files itself. It can only
create .mov files. So to prepare C100 AVCHD files for a roundtrip workflow where you want
to edit offline in Avid and finish in DaVinci you have two options:

ER + Avid Option

1. use ER to convert the AVCHD files to mxf format wrapped in mov.
2. import the mov files into Avid using fast import

ER + DaVinci Option

1. use ER to rewrap the AVCHD files to mov.
2. import the mov files into DaVinci
3. export mxf files into a Avid MediaFiles MXF folder
4. drag the mdb file into an Avid bin or use Media Tool to populate the bin

Bottom-line is that a 32 minute spanned clip was correctly handled using either option.

However, after all the testing and figuring out that I can now setup for a roundtrip workflow, I've decided to
continue to use the flattened master workflow. In my case, and these workflows always
have to be tailored to the situation at hand, a project is very rarely kicked back for a revision.
And the one time that it was, I found there are a few ways to splice in changes after all.

So since the flattened master workflow is so much faster and easier to implement I going
to stay with it even if BMD fixes the bug.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]