FORUMS: list search recent posts

Its rather a pain in the ass

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Pickett
Its rather a pain in the ass
on Oct 17, 2015 at 3:35:42 am
Last Edited By Dave Pickett on Oct 17, 2015 at 3:39:06 am

Ive upgraded as you do, excited for the new capabilities. Yet in session, it simply deviates too much. Seems its leaning the towards NLE architecture.

Yes I'm a film guy from the telecine days. Yet the march towards the app continues to stymie.

Thanks anyway,

Ill try now to find my timeline in the media pool.

Dave

Dave Pickett
Colorist
Spectrum Grading
http://www.davepickett.com
404-775-8519

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
Re: Its rather a pain in the ass
on Oct 18, 2015 at 12:47:18 am

There's a checkbox in the project settings that places a 'Timelines' bin at the top of the media pool.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Oct 18, 2015 at 1:03:59 am

Eh, you have to give yourself time to get used to it. Learn the shortcuts, figure out the menus, read the manual... you can get pretty fast at it.

I'm far from an editor -- I consider myself merely a colorist -- but I've done more actual editing in Resolve 12 than I have in any other color correction program, by far. It can do quite a bit. It helps to understand the paradigms they've established, the proper way to cut and paste, track selection, the Trim modes, and so on.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Oct 28, 2015 at 6:46:41 pm

[Dave Pickett] "Ill try now to find my timeline in the media pool."

LOL.

Yeah, its a thing... I think it was done to keep the Media Composer guys happy...

Two words, Smart Bins...

but it is a little bit aggravating to move back into your (newly renovated?) house every 10 months or so and all the doors are moved, and the light switches are in different places, and the bathroom is now on the other side of the property and the laundry room is upstairs, and... yes, I also agree the thing is metastasizing into becoming predominantly not primarily a grading platform anymore. Maybe that's not such a bad, bad thing, but the manual is now an 1100 page tome. Extremely well written, though, of course.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Mel Matsuoka
on Oct 30, 2015 at 12:40:58 am

[Joseph Owens] "but it is a little bit aggravating to move back into your (newly renovated?) house every 10 months or so and all the doors are moved, and the light switches are in different places, and the bathroom is now on the other side of the property and the laundry room is upstairs, and... yes, I also agree the thing is metastasizing into becoming predominantly not primarily a grading platform anymore. "

Thank you, JPO, for crystallizing my thoughts on the exciting, yet simultaneously frustrating yearly "remodeling" of the Resolve UI.

Aside from the fact that the continual lack of keyboard shortcuts for important tasks forces me to manually update my crazy Xkeys/Keyboard Maestro macros with every new update, it has also made it more difficult for me to be a beta-tester, because most of my grading sessions are client-supervised.

I simply cannot use the latest major version update to Resolve in as soon as it's made available for private/public beta-testing, because all the "doors and lightswitches" have been completely changed, so soon after the last version's radically updated "doors and lightswitches" have been committed to my muscle memory. It's frustrating, because I fancy myself an excellent beta-tester who is able to supply copious amounts of detailed and useful feedback during the beta phase of a product. But since most of my sessions are supervised, the UI re-learning curve is just too steep to try and use the new release in a real-world situation.

I'm torn on how rapid the development of Resolve has become over the past 3 years. It's awesome how the Resolve dev team has been addressing so many issues and adding so many great new features with each new release, but it seems a bit crazy that they feel the need to completely overhaul the UI every 12 months (beautiful as it undoubtedly is). It's great for marketing, but I have to wonder if it may impact the quality of pre-release beta feedback, simply because more people like me are hesitant to run the pre-release versions only because they don't have the time or opportunity to acclimate to the new UI?

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Oct 31, 2015 at 4:10:32 am

[Mel Matsuoka] "I simply cannot use the latest major version update to Resolve in as soon as it's made available for private/public beta-testing, because all the "doors and lightswitches" have been completely changed, so soon after the last version's radically updated "doors and lightswitches" have been committed to my muscle memory."

Well, I think the answer is: don't do that. Spend a couple of days without clients and practice. Learn where the new modes are, reprogram X-Keys if necessary, and move on. It's not rocket science. The main stuff is still where it's always been, and it's still very productive software. The manual helps as well, and there are also good tutorials out there -- even for old telecine colorists like ourselves who need to keep up to date on new stuff.

There are always pros and cons with this stuff. Two things that I think are huge steps forward are the 3D Keyer and the "convert to Bezier" windows command, both of which I use pretty much on every single session. I'm not as happy with the 3D tracker yet, but when it works it's pretty amazing. I also like the redesign of the frame mode for the tracker, and I find I use that far more in v12 than I ever did in the previous versions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]