FORUMS: list search recent posts

Image overlay, using power nodes+power windows?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Magnus Roervik
Image overlay, using power nodes+power windows?
on Oct 16, 2015 at 11:05:35 am

Hi,

First post on these forums so I hope I've come to the right place!

I've shot some exercises in front of a black seamless, but because of limited space, I had some of the room spilling into frame. I'm trying to fix these now by creating a vignetted still in photoshop and overlaying this on the footage

I was trying to import the completed, vignetted image as a still into a node, then using a power window, exclude the middle part, then blurring the edges to get it seamless, but I can't get it to import to a node, how do I do this?

I'm self-taught here so if there's a better way I'm all ears

cheers

Return to posts index

Massimo Alberto Croce
Re: Image overlay, using power nodes+power windows?
on Oct 16, 2015 at 3:37:33 pm

i don't know if i understand your problem.
but if I understand, you can not import as a node, but you can put it on top on you video track in the edit room, create a compound clip and then grade it.

Massimo Alberto Croce
Video Editor, Colorist, Pro Tools Editor
massimoalberto.croce@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Oct 16, 2015 at 6:50:52 pm

[Magnus Roervik] "I'm trying to fix these now by creating a vignetted still in photoshop and overlaying this on the footage "

You should be able to do this in Resolve.

1. Create a node and apply a power window to it
2. Adjust power window size, shape, feathering, and location to your liking
3. Create an outside node just after the power window node and adjust darkness level to your liking

This would avoid any PSD work and allow you to control everything within Resolve's "Color" tab.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Magnus Roervik
on Oct 17, 2015 at 7:51:11 am

Thanks, Ryan, I'll give that a shot.

I googled Compound windows but couldn't find any text on it, what's the process?

Return to posts index

Massimo Alberto Croce
on Oct 17, 2015 at 5:10:58 pm

Ryan Holmes, you are right if you don't want to leave Resolve.

Magnus Roervik, in the Davinci resolve manual, page 376, you can find what you are looking for.

Massimo Alberto Croce
Video Editor, Colorist, Pro Tools Editor
massimoalberto.croce@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Oct 18, 2015 at 1:18:26 am

One problem you'll have with the example shot you've shown is the amount of diffusion and haze in the frame will be very hard to mask out. The floor is also gray, so trying to allow for that will not be easy.

I just had some limbo shots to even out on a project I'm working on over the weekend, and even there I had difficulty because the black background shot by the client was too small, and the actor occasionally gestured beyond the limitations I had for the window. Even with an articulated tracking window, it's very, very tough to do.

So much for situations like this hinges on shooting it right to begin with. In your case, big black background (say, 25'-30'), black floor, and no glare but reasonable light level and backlight) could yield perfect results. We're often very, very limited in our solutions by the choices made on the set.

Return to posts index

Magnus Roervik
on Oct 18, 2015 at 8:05:19 am

Found it, Massimo Alberto Croce, I'll try that approach.

I see what you're saying, Marc Wielage, luckily though I was able to prevent the actor crossing the boundaries of the black background so I'm feeling confident I'll be able to mask it off and make it appear seamless. Next time though, I think I will make a bigger space a requirement, and improve my black floor solution, make it easier for myself.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]