<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew sableton
Mixed frame sizes and resizing confusion
on Oct 12, 2015 at 9:37:56 pm

Hi all,

I am grading a project from Premiere Pro in Davinci 11.3.1

Most of the footage is shot on ALEXA 2048 x 1136, cinemascope

The timeline in Premiere is as I understand it 1828 x 1556

I have my Davinci timeline set to 1828 x 1556 square pixels and my media set to cinemascope.

However shots that have been resized do not show in the correct aspect ratio in my monitor or when I render out on output. Also some shots have different resolutions - such as some red footage at 3792 x 1580.

I have been unsucessful at rendering the timeline out in a single quicktime that positions everything full frame and scaled correctly - I typically get a quicktime with a mask baked in and some shots show different sizes.

Any suggestions to a workflow to get this all both looking correct in DAVINCI and out my output monitor and then into an unsqueezed full frame quicktime at the correct resolution?

Thanks in advance
Sableton

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Mixed frame sizes and resizing confusion
on Oct 13, 2015 at 5:41:04 am
Last Edited By Marc Wielage on Oct 13, 2015 at 5:41:49 am

Somebody should write a learned article on this problem, because it comes up all the time.

I think the best answer is, set your timeline to whatever format you need to render out to and watch everything there, assuming you can monitor it on your current display. You can correct with the masking in place, then remove the masking for the final render if it's in a smaller vertical size than what you normally have. Be sure to watch out on the setting

I would recommend Brad Allen's "Aspect Ratio Cheat Sheet" as being a good source of information as far as what sizes are out there and what is acceptable for home video releases and DCI theatrical releases:

unravel.com.au/files/Unravel_Resolution_CheatSheet.pdf

On the other hand: note that Vittorio Storaro and Woody Allen are shooting their new picture in 2.00 on the Sony F65. And I suspect nobody will argue with them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]