FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need to change timeline framerate after grading.

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Harris
Need to change timeline framerate after grading.
on Sep 27, 2015 at 6:32:20 am

I somehow had the wrong timeline framerate and graded an entire project (24fps instead of 23.976). On export the playback is funny. Is there a way to change it or somehow get my grade into a new project?

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Need to change timeline framerate after grading.
on Sep 27, 2015 at 10:51:48 pm

[Matt Harris] ". Is there a way to change it or somehow get my grade into a new project?"

There is no way to change it.

You will have to create a new project with the correct frame base, and then attempt to ColorTrace the corrections... it will warn you that some frame-rate based operations will not translate properly. If you don't have a lot of tracking, stabilization, or speed re-maps, you might be okay.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Sep 29, 2015 at 6:12:57 am

The other possible workaround is to render out the 24.00fps project as a flattened file in a high quality format (like ProRes 444 or DNxHD or DNxHR 444), then start a new 23.976fps project, bring in the flattened file, and just render it out at the new speed. This will cause a .1% pulldown, so make sure this will sync up with your existing sound.

Generally nowadays, I think 24.00fps projects are rare... but they do exist. I personally think 23.976 is much more straightforward and easier to deal with, since most sound and picture people expect this mode (for American-based TV or feature projects, anyway).

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Oct 10, 2015 at 3:15:12 am

[Marc Wielage] "Generally nowadays, I think 24.00fps projects are rare... but they do exist."

That is true. Working on one that was sourced that way, for reasons that I am still trying to work out. Eventually it will have a number of releases, but for the moment, I am stuck doing multiple frame rate conversions to get it to sync with various master mixes, and then pull it up to 2997 interlaced for broadcast.
And then 24.000 for DCP -- having been made extremely wary of different servers that don't know and make assumptions about the audio and video MXF essence frame rates, a relationship that can go south very quickly.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Oct 14, 2015 at 1:17:22 pm

>Generally nowadays, I think 24.00fps projects are rare... but they do exist. I personally think 23.976 is much more >straightforward and easier to deal with, since most sound and picture people expect this mode (for American->based TV or feature projects, anyway).

The large majority of feature projects we do in Europe and elsewhere (i.e., anywhere except North America) are 24fps. It is not rare, it is very common if you're not fixated on the US and Canada (although we have done a number of 24fps shows in those areas as welll.....).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]