FORUMS: list search recent posts

whats are main drawback of resolve 12 for editing?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricardo Marty
whats are main drawback of resolve 12 for editing?
on Sep 24, 2015 at 5:43:49 pm
Last Edited By Ricardo Marty on Sep 24, 2015 at 5:44:35 pm

Why is it not ready?

Ricardo Marty

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: whats are main drawback of resolve 12 for editing?
on Sep 25, 2015 at 12:32:24 am

There are many around here who simply don't like anything, so do yourself a favor and try it out for yourself, after all, it's 100% free. :)

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Joshua Kezzer
on Oct 5, 2015 at 11:31:26 am

The majority of 3rd Party Software Companies have yet to offer OFX plugin packages. Sapphire and NeatVideo are a must for any video professional using Resolve.
The industry is switching to Premiere, Avid, FCP
Not many people are using Resolve for video editing. It offers the same capabilities.

Return to posts index

Mark Baird
on Oct 6, 2015 at 5:52:52 am

It doesn't have script based editing. That's really the only think keeping me locked in the AVID camp.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Oct 6, 2015 at 5:59:38 am

The choice of editing software is like a lot of things: choice of lenses, choice of monitors, choice of operating systems. There's always a lot of pros and cons, personal biases, and outside factors beyond what the software does. Cost, speed, reliability... those are all good factors. It also helps to have a wide, highly-trained user base to draw upon when you need to hire freelance people.

There's a huge group of freelance Premiere, Avid, and FCP editors out there. Resolve... not so much. Where I see Resolve working is for conforming and finishing longform projects, documentaries, and TV series. They're getting very close to matching what Avid DS could do years ago, but for a lot less money.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Oct 6, 2015 at 12:57:36 pm

Marc can you see R12 as a finite editing tool, say a the end of the line like?
I ask this with current project rough-cut in Premiere and then handed off to me to grade in Resolve.
I installed R12 but havent tried anything deep yet.
Curious on how it deals with audio.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Oct 18, 2015 at 1:14:46 am
Last Edited By Marc Wielage on Oct 26, 2015 at 6:49:27 am

[Eric Santiago] "Marc can you see R12 as a finite editing tool, say a the end of the line like? I ask this with current project rough-cut in Premiere and then handed off to me to grade in Resolve."

Yes, I could definitely see it being used for "finish" editing, conforming, and versioning. There's still a couple of things that need some work, particularly adding more ease-in/ease-out functions to curves for the Transform tools, and more finesse for the Titling tool (like kerning and better control over spacing).

They've come an enormous way in just a few years, and I have to say the Trim tools and flexibility are pretty amazing from my (limited) editing perspective.

Return to posts index

Gabe Strong
on Oct 14, 2015 at 7:28:47 am

It's actually a pretty good editor. One drawback is that it needs a pretty beefy GPU (but I have
one so it works great for me). Other drawbacks are its current lack of very many transitions
and effects. Also it has very basic titling abilities. However, it seems that BMD is committed
to making it into a good editor, and I would not at all be surprised to see it develop into
something better by next year. And it's already pretty good.

Gabe Strong
G-Force Productions
http://www.gforcevideo.com

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Oct 16, 2015 at 11:22:20 pm

Hi Gabe,
Are you running Resolve 12 on a PC? And what GPU are you using mate?
Am about to buy my next workstation. Been a Mac user for over 19 yrs. Thinking about switching to a PC. S@#t scared:(

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 17, 2015 at 1:07:25 pm

Performance has improved but one does need plug-ins to step up the game. Transitions are there but lacks certain basic stuff that other editing software has.

One other area is integration with Fusion, which is my preferred choice for finishing. Nodes are much easier to work with there. Aside from those two things it appears that Resolve is moving in the right direction . Would migrate to Linux but cost is an issue at the moment.

The magnetic timeline, it's magnetic-o-matic!

Return to posts index

Sumit Makwana
on Oct 22, 2015 at 9:08:06 pm

Hey, I have started taken recent interest in 2d animation. And if I skip to the final part of its process, I was looking for a video editor, I already have a copy of vegas movie studio hd 11, and also testing out the premier pro... But now I just happened to come across this post and I didn't know anything about Resolve 12.

So my need for a video editor is simply to import the 2d animation image sequences and stitch it all together and give a final render into an mp4 and some simple fade in/outs for transition. Will Resolve do the trick? I'm especially interested with the fact that its free. I'm just started practicing my drawing skills, so I don't want to make a huge investment yet.

Return to posts index

Richard van Harderwijk
on Oct 25, 2015 at 2:16:44 pm

It will most certainly do what you want.

You can skip the color grading and go directly from edit to render. Try it out, I think you will be satisfied. And it resembles other editors, so if you want to go premiere or vegas, the way of working is the same (but a lot of shortcuts and knobs different of course). If you want to do more color correcting later, you will find that everything is there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]