FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hello, DNxHR codec question

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kaku Ito
Hello, DNxHR codec question
on Sep 19, 2015 at 10:40:58 pm
Last Edited By Kaku Ito on Sep 19, 2015 at 10:42:01 pm

Resolve can generate Avid DNxHR clips, but unless you installed Avid codecs in your system, the DNxHR clips won't work with say Premiere Pro when you roundtrip with the AAF. I found that trial version of the media composer has the separate installing option of the QuickTime codec only. This seems work but does it have the trial timer, so after the trial period, I won't be able to use the codec? Officially, do I have to purchase the media composer license?

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
Re: Hello, DNxHR codec question
on Sep 19, 2015 at 11:23:51 pm

go to the avid website and download the quicktime versions of DNxHR

Return to posts index

Kaku Ito
on Sep 20, 2015 at 1:58:59 am

Bill,

Thanks, so just using the codec is not a problem then. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Sep 20, 2015 at 7:40:46 pm

if you google avid dnxhd codec, you will find an avid page which explains the difference between the free dnx codec pack "LE" and the one that comes with Avid "PE"

Glenn

Return to posts index

Kaku Ito
on Sep 22, 2015 at 12:10:17 am

Hi Glenn,

I'm little puzzled with their explanation saying PE for the Avid and LE for the third party, but I guess PE includes the support for the third party apps, too.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Sep 23, 2015 at 4:10:13 pm

I think PE stands for Professional Edition, and comes with the paid Avid products. This would definitely include the encoder

LE is Light Edition, and is free for anyone to download. I know it contains the playback codecs, but I'm not sure it allows encoding.

Hard for me to tell, as all my boxes have Avid on them, so I have the PE vesions already.

I believe Davinci is licensing the DNX codec for encoding service, which is why it works on that software, but perhaps not with other software you have.

In the early days of the Blackmagic version, the DNX codec was one of the differences between the paid and lite versions of Resolve.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]