FORUMS: list search recent posts

is resolve 12 edit worthy?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricardo Marty
is resolve 12 edit worthy?
on Sep 17, 2015 at 8:46:43 pm

Ive been to busy to try it out. I will be starting a 10min corporate video nothing complicated and would like to test this version. Anything i shound know?

Ricardo marty

Return to posts index

Elvin Jasarevic
Re: is resolve 12 edit worthy?
on Sep 17, 2015 at 9:22:51 pm

seriously?

Use current NLE if there is paid job, once is done and over, try it...

Edit part is very nice (on paper and what I saw so far) I have 2 resolve licenses thanks to Peter from BMD.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Sep 18, 2015 at 2:34:40 am

Since the probject is basic. Just cuts color correctio a sound i would like to give ig a try.

R marty

Return to posts index

Karsten Fischer
on Sep 18, 2015 at 8:52:37 pm

Go ahead.

A word of warning: I find Resolve 12 is constantly seducing me to colour-correct the clip I'm trimming.

By the way, the quad-view trimming overview is pretty neat. It's actually amazing what BMD did with it regarding it's editing functionality. If you're a subclipping person, you'll find it somewhat lacking, but for almost everything else Resolve is at least on par with FCP & Premiere (haven't used Avid for 18 years, so I'll omit mentioning it here).

Return to posts index

Mike Parfit
on Sep 19, 2015 at 3:02:03 am

I love it.

I was doing some editing in version 11, and liked it, so I was primed for 12. I'm using 4k on a 1080 timeline right now on a 1-hour doc. I'd say for 4k use it's all about using proxies, either the straightforward Optimized Media process or making your own proxies and using the relinking process.

Using Optimized Media -- a slightly different use of the term from FCP X -- is delightfully easy but has had a few hiccups in my system, which has a bunch of external USB 3.0 drives and a Thunderbolt raid on a new Mac Pro 6 core. Relinking is so easy that we're mostly making our own proxies right now because with a little planning it's so simple to switch back and forth.

I find the editing quick and smooth, and like the trimming. I'm going to ship out the audio, so haven't done much except fix it for my ear. Except perhaps for some lower thirds, titling and compositing will go out as well, so I haven't been testing any of that yet.

I, too, find myself drifting into the Color page, but in some ways it's a bit like making sure of focus to check what might be done with a difficult clip. The ease of going to the Color page and back is one of the big reasons I want this to work out as my full-time editor.

But I'd like it even if it wasn't tied to the famous color machine. I haven't had a favourite NLE since FCP 7, which I was still using until the end of last year while looking around. I would put Resolve in that category now. Perhaps it's the ease of transition from FCP 7, but it feels intuitive; I've picked up a lot of the keyboard muscle memory quickly, even the keystrokes that don't emulate FCP. Though the editing side feels a bit like a version 1.0, it's pretty robust.

The tech support I've had has been of such high quality that it's clear to me that Blackmagic is serious about making this a real editor. So that has also made the experience good -- and promising.

So I'd say go for it. I hope you have fun.

Cheers,

Mike

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Sep 21, 2015 at 12:20:12 pm

For a 10min doc it will work.
For a proper multilayer show, i find it way to slow to work with.
Especially when zooming into the timeline for bits and pieces editing.
I also can not get used to way i have to move the timeline left and right, i find it very non-intuitive to grab a small slider.
I would prefer a middle mouse left-right gesture to pan and up down to zoom where my cursor is, like any audio app is doing.
The keyframe editor for edit effects is quasi non existing, complex transitions with Sapphires are a chore.
I had to give up an edit job and bounce it back to the AVID department in house, but it was a quite complex show from the start.
But at this point, i would only use to to finalise or replace things, not to start the whole edit process.

Resolve 11.3 - Smoke 2015 EXT1 - Sapphire 8
Colorist / VFX Guru / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber
https://dk.linkedin.com/in/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Sep 22, 2015 at 11:55:41 pm

Thanks for the info. I read from some reviewer that the windos version will only work 1 cpu. Is this correct?

Ricardo Marty

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Sep 23, 2015 at 11:44:33 am

Nope.
See the other thread

Resolve 11.3 - Smoke 2015 EXT1 - Sapphire 8
Colorist / VFX Guru / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber
https://dk.linkedin.com/in/saschahaber

Return to posts index