FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding folders of clips to mediapool and setting reel name

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Lennox-Gordon
Adding folders of clips to mediapool and setting reel name
on Sep 17, 2015 at 4:28:08 pm

I want to load folders from a drive into Resolve (11) as bins, but not to keep the folder structure within those folders. The two options when I right click on the folders are 'Add folders and subfolders into media pool' and 'Add folders and subfolders into media pool (create bins)'. The former just dumps everything from those folders into the master bin in the media pool, the latter keeps the whole folder structure.

I'm looking for something in between, which will create a bin with the same name as the folder I'm adding to the media pool, but then take any clips within that folder structure and put them in that bin.

The reason I want to do this is so that those clips automatically have the original folder name as their reel name, and neither of these two options outlined above let me do that using the 'Assist reel names from the: mediapool folder name'. If the above described isn't possible, is there another way for me to automatically set the reel name of clips added to the media pool to be the same as the imported folder?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Adding folders of clips to mediapool and setting reel name
on Sep 19, 2015 at 3:09:19 pm

I think you're thinking too hard about this. Under the master bin, hit the plus button and make a new bin, and name it what ever reel you want to bring in. Then with that bin selected, import your clips. No it is not totally automated, but it isn't really that big of a deal to make a new bin for each reel you want to bring in.

Glenn

Return to posts index

James Lennox-Gordon
on Sep 21, 2015 at 8:45:43 am

The reason I want to automate is because I have hundreds of cards to bring in, each with a long, specific name. I've been doing a manual copy/paste but it takes a long time so it's not thinking too hard about it to want to do faster and more accurately.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Sep 21, 2015 at 5:05:52 pm

My point is that as much as it would be nice if every possible iteration of workflow requests could be automated, they aren't.

You can also bring in all the subfolders, and then move all the media up to the top level of that folder, which if i understand it is the reel name you are looking for.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Sep 23, 2015 at 2:26:50 am

[James Lennox-Gordon] "The reason I want to automate is because I have hundreds of cards to bring in, each with a long, specific name. I've been doing a manual copy/paste but it takes a long time so it's not thinking too hard about it to want to do faster and more accurately."
My workaround for this (if you can call it one) would be to hire an assistant/trainee at $10/hour and have him or her sit there for a day or two and do all this work for you on a second machine. This will cost you under $100 and allow you to keep working elsewhere.

There are a thousand annoying, time-consuming editorial tasks that have to be done on any project, and many of them are just necessary parts of the job. The question is whether the editor does it, the assistant editor does it, the conforming artist does it, or the colorist does it. If one person is doing all of these jobs, my answer is to a) drink heavily, and b) know that the sooner you start, the sooner it'll be done.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]