FORUMS: list search recent posts

Window Border

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Klassen
Window Border
on Sep 1, 2015 at 10:45:56 pm

I'm creating a visual demo to show different levels of saturation in the same shot and animating a window to create a swipe across the screen. It's a typical swipe comparison.

There's a lot of similarity in the comparisons, and the window boarder is getting lost sometimes. I'd like to add a thin black border to the window, is this possible? If this is not possible, I suppose I could animate a vertical line created in Illustrator or PS and try to match the keyframing of the windows in Resolve, but that would be messy.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eric

Eric Klassen

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
Re: Window Border
on Sep 1, 2015 at 11:36:36 pm

Assuming you have two video layers you want to show the differences between;

-Place one level of saturation on v1
-Place black on v2 (use generator, edit to match length of v1/v3, create compound clip)
-Place other level of saturation on v3
-Disable v2
-In color page, on clip on v3, add alpha output, create power window to create the area you want to reveal on v3, feed nodes alpha output to clip alpha output, and animate as desired.
-Enable v2
-Enable 'save timeline keyframes' in the still store
-Grab still from v3
-Paste grade onto v2
-In node sizing, add a small pan effect to create the desired thickness of line.

It's certainly not the simplest thing to do in Resolve but it's certainly possible this way!

Return to posts index

Eric Klassen
on Sep 2, 2015 at 5:42:46 pm

Toby thanks,

This seems to work but I'm running into a weird issue:
I can copy the keyframing/alpha over to the black solid, but the timing is off on the keyframes. It's like the Solid is at a different frame rate or something, causing the animation to go about 25% the speed of the original. I have to extend the solid in editing to see all the keyframes (see screenshots). If you look closely at the keyframes and timecode in the keyframe panel, you'll see the difference in the first and last screenshots.

Any idea of how to fix this? The framerate is the same on all the clips, maybe it's something with the Solid Color generator I'm not aware of...?

Thanks,
Eric

Eric Klassen

Return to posts index

Eric Klassen
on Sep 2, 2015 at 8:33:15 pm

To work around this problem, instead of generating a Solid, I made another copy of the media with the animation to put on V2, dropped the levels to zero to create an all black layer, and shifted it's X position to 1.500, which offset the black layer to give a fine black line underneath V3.

- Eric

Eric Klassen

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
on Sep 2, 2015 at 8:46:31 pm

Nice workaround! Odd behaviour on the compound clip! Report that to BM!

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Sep 3, 2015 at 5:33:01 am

I think it would be a whole lot easier to do the transition in the edit page from two sets of rendered images. The V1 level would have (say) normal saturation; the V2 level would have increased sat. Drop in an Edge Wipe transition, adjust the timing so it starts and end when you want it, add a border -- done.

I think trying to do this on the Color page would be way, way too much trouble when you could do it in seconds in Editing.

Return to posts index

Eric Klassen
on Sep 4, 2015 at 5:09:39 pm

Marc, thanks. I agree, it would be easier to do it that way in the case of a single wipe across, but I need to wipe across and back again, which I didn't clarify. To get this to work with the Edge Wipe, as far as I can tell, it requires cutting the shot in half and applying two Edge Wipes, and I can't find a way to reverse the wipe (see attached). I'd do anything to get away from Resolve's keyframes, but I think this ends up being the same amount of work for compositing and it could lead to headaches down the road if I need to go back and make any changes to the shot as a whole.

- Eric

Eric Klassen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]