FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cancelling one power window with another??

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Williams
Cancelling one power window with another??
on Aug 21, 2015 at 6:38:43 pm

Hello
My normal operation when grading is to put 4 untouched serial nodes back to back and start grading on the 5th node. I do this so if I blow out the sky on 5 I can always go back to one of the empty 4 and with a power window bring it back in. I continue off the 5th serial node with all my grades but if I get into a place where I need all the information I will return to the first 4. Here is my question sometimes when I do a parallel node on one of the first 4 with a power window and pull down the sky I sometimes will have someone or something pass in front of my window for a brief moment and I need to cancel the correction till that object has left the screen. I can't seem to get the hang of this and should probably be using layers. Is there a way to do this and still leave my empty 4 nodes for emergencies??
Hope this makes sense
Thanks

Return to posts index

Mike Most
Re: Cancelling one power window with another??
on Aug 24, 2015 at 1:05:34 am

That's why you now have multiple windows of the same type (or other types) on one node. If you set up and track another window around the object that's crossing the first one, and set it as a mask, it does exactly what you seem to want.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Aug 24, 2015 at 5:10:10 am

[Dave Williams] "My normal operation when grading is to put 4 untouched serial nodes back to back and start grading on the 5th node. I do this so if I blow out the sky on 5 I can always go back to one of the empty 4 and with a power window bring it back in."
I'm confused by this. There are ways to get the detail back using a key source that goes back to the first correction node. I think having 4 empty nodes would take up a lot of space and time. But... I concede that everybody has their own working style.

Mr. Most above is correct: adding another custom articulating and tracking PowerCurve and using that as a mask will cancel out the correction in the other window, basically a hold-out matte. The trick is in the tracking and the shape, which takes time... especially if it's a complex shape with a lot of movement and movement. The 3D tracker in V12 is sometimes good, but none of the trackers work well with really complex shapes, like holding out a body from a background.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Aug 25, 2015 at 9:16:44 am

Well, that is what we have Mocha for, don't we ?
And Boris for the import.
And Igor to do the roto ;)

Resolve 11.3 - Smoke 2015 EXT1 - Sapphire 8
Colorist / VFX Guru / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber
https://dk.linkedin.com/in/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Aug 25, 2015 at 4:08:25 pm

I don't really understand front-loading the node tree since you can always add another node prior to current, anytime.

Mainly the beef that most users who run into complex, organic power-shapes voice is that it is difficult to corral the vertices that would benefit from being moving en masse, whereas at the moment we have to peck away at them one by one. It is also not really possible to "lock" onto a particular shape (unless you turn an overlapping shape 'off', which has keyframe consequences) so that you are not unintentionally dragging vertices from an overlapping shape. Thirdly, its annoying to scrape away at edges only to move boundaries, so that you don't really know what you're going to drag once you execute an instruction. Nearly every other roto tool on the market allows hierarchical and parental control over shapes, vertices, edges, and track assignment while allowing a lasso tool to define grouped manipulation within the *selected* shape.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]