FORUMS: list search recent posts

Applying a grade to multiple clips from the media pool

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vladimir Bibic
Applying a grade to multiple clips from the media pool
on Jul 29, 2015 at 10:56:56 am

Hi there,
I'm looking for a way to apply a powergrade directly to multiple clips by filename. For exemple I have an interview shot in 10 takes (10 files) and I would like to apply a grade to those 10 shots instead of using remote grading and selecting thumbnails in the color timeline.
I have tried adding metadata in Resolve 12 since I could then use the Smart filter, but this tool is not working (Resolve 12 crashes immediately when I chose a filter).
Is there another way?

Thank you in advance!

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Applying a grade to multiple clips from the media pool
on Jul 30, 2015 at 6:25:13 am

Groups will do it. Command-click (on Mac) or control-click to select multiple clips. then right-click to create a new group for these clips. Apply the Powergrade... boom, all the clips will have the same exact correction. (Pp. 795-802 in the v12 manual.)

Be warned that I find often, the look of a shot has to be changed when the shot that comes before it is substantially different (like much darker or much brighter). The exact same look might not be appropriate, so be prepared to take the shot out of the group and try a modified look.

Return to posts index

Vladimir Bibic
on Jul 30, 2015 at 9:14:13 am

Thank you, but the problem with groups for me is that it appears to be possible to create groups only from the "Color" section of Resolve. There I don't see a list of media files but the thumbnails of the clips in the editing order of my sequence. That means that I would have to manually command-click to select hundreds of thumbnails.
My goal is just to select all the takes from the same scene and apply a basic grading to all of them. My edited scene is very cut, so I have all those takes split in many many clips everywhere on my timeline. Using the Remote grading helps a lot but I still have to go through every thumbnail to be sure that the grading has been applied. If I could just select my files by reel name, that would save me a lot of time.

As I said, I guess one solution would be to use the Smart filter. I could isolate my scenes by metadata but it's crashing on my computer. Not sure if it's a known bug...
I'm sure there must be another way to do it :)

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jul 30, 2015 at 9:44:46 am

[Vladimir Bibic] "My goal is just to select all the takes from the same scene and apply a basic grading to all of them. My edited scene is very cut, so I have all those takes split in many many clips everywhere on my timeline."
Well, that's basically the process of color-correction: apply the right correction every time it's necessary.

One possible way to do it automatically would be to sort all the clips in the timeline in camera order, so then all the clips shot about the same time will all be sorted. Then, at least grouping all the common shots of the interview subject are easy.

The way I do it in interview documentaries is just to heavily use the Lightbox and the memories, and whenever (say) Mr. X comes up, I know his correction is in Memory D. Whenever Miss Smith comes up, I know she's in Memory E. And so on. It's not that hard, even when there's a dozen or more people. The Lightbox will also let you see similar shots at a glance and pop those up very quickly, then apply the same correction used dozens or hundreds of shots before. It takes less time to do than it does to describe the process.

Return to posts index

Vladimir Bibic
on Jul 30, 2015 at 10:34:15 am

It's just that it's too time consuming for a not-so-critical personal project with 30 people answering 10 questions edited in 1 clip per answer.
I guess for now it'll be a lot of clicking on thumbnails. Thank you for your help!

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jul 30, 2015 at 10:41:20 am

The sooner you start, the faster it'll get done. It's not that hard. I've done interview shows with 800, 900, 1000 cuts in a day. All you have to do is get the hand/eye coordination down.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]