FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which new Mac for DR12?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Calhoun
Which new Mac for DR12?
on Jul 27, 2015 at 7:28:53 pm

I am looking to buy a new system to run DR12. From what I hear, it requires some pretty beefy hardware.

What would the the minimum system—iMac or MacPro—that would be recommended?

What would be the optimum system, including GPUs, etc.? Thanx.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Which new Mac for DR12?
on Jul 28, 2015 at 8:45:39 am

The official configuration guide is here:

http://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/DaVinciResolve/DaVinci_Resolve_12_Con...

The guide is pretty specific, particularly about Mac hardware, and makes it clear you're not going to get great performance out of machines with compromised GPUs and limited RAM (including most laptops & iMacs).

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Jan 5, 2016 at 8:56:54 pm

Hey John, what iMac did you end up getting.

I'm wondering how important it is to max out the Flash Storage (SSD). The jump from 512 to 1tb is killer.

Also, does everyone have good experience with the OWC 16gig cards in iMacs? (will be buying a pair)

Return to posts index

Richard Krall
on Jan 23, 2016 at 4:52:30 pm

Does the corrupted render problem with Resolve and the new Mac Pro (trashcan) still exist? Hoping some updates to El Capitan would solve it.

Return to posts index

Mike Parfit
on Jan 25, 2016 at 10:57:44 pm

Yes. I have had major problems with corrupted renders, but I am using Yosemite on Blackmagic's tech support advice. The problem I have is not just in rendering 4k. For me it shows up in random horizontal lines that look like dropouts.

I have had some success by making sure I have only one connection to each Thunderbolt bus, and by limiting rendering to 10 frames. I have no idea of the thunderbolt bus thing has anything to do with it, but it's worth trying if it puts less stress on the VRAM, and I'm pretty sure the slow render rate is likely to help.

If the render has some glitches in it, I re-render the bad places in short bursts, which seems to work fine, then I put all the rendered footage on a timeline on a different NLE for the final render. (I use FCPX and Compressor.)

I don't think it's the change of NLE that does it. I'm pretty sure it's just that once there's a render, the computer no longer has to deal with demanding grading operations like noise reduction.

Ironically, I did not have this problem with Resolve Lite; it just began when I spent all those $$$ on Resolve Studio, and started to use the noise reduction. It doesn't necessarily glitch on the frames where the noise reduction occurs, but the workload on the computer from those renders must have something to do with why the glitches eventually occur. Heat perhaps?

This is a very problematic situation. No more rendering anywhere close to a deadline, because it takes so much longer, and i don't have enough faith in this workaround to be sure that the renders will work, so I have to build in time to do my own QC and render it again.

I have tried rendering the same material on my 2014 Retina MacBookPro, but it crashes every time. There is so much less VRAM on that machine.

I hope this helps with your answer. I'm very disappointed with Apple, because it sounds as if it will take me weeks or months to get Apple to replace the machine, which seems to be the only real answer. And even that may not work. I would have bought a Windows machine if I had noticed the Blackmagic Forum comments on this problem before I bought the Mac.

Cheers,

Mike

Return to posts index

Richard Krall
on Jan 26, 2016 at 1:09:34 am

Let me know, if you can but, from what I hear, I don't think a machine replacement is going to help. Many, if not all, Mac Pro's are experiencing very similar results. Seems even after Apple replaces the machine in question, the issue persists. Many people seem to be placing the blame on poor code implementation for the Firepro 700 cards but, this is beyond my pay grade so, I really don't know. Quite vexing, indeed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]