FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to completely reset a clips color?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stanton Karim
How to completely reset a clips color?
on Jul 25, 2015 at 5:28:53 am

I'm not sure what exactly I did to screw every clip up but I selected one clip, hit shift+s to make a new node, applied a 3D lut to it, then deleted the node. Now this clip still looks graded with the LUT and every other clip somehow is being graded with this same LUT, even clips freshly dragged into my main timeline. What is going on? Why is resetting so difficult to do?

Ive tried Color menu > reset selected node grade/reset all grades and nodes, none of it works. Theres no nodes in the node windows so I have no idea where this grade is. Shift+D (Bypass all grades) is the only thing that works but I know thats not really resetting the clips color. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
Re: How to completely reset a clips color?
on Jul 25, 2015 at 8:47:06 am

It sounds like you added a timeline node and grade.

Return to posts index

Stanton Karim
on Jul 25, 2015 at 4:45:08 pm

And how do I get rid of it?

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jul 26, 2015 at 2:35:39 am

Go to Timeline mode. Select the node. Delete it.

I would also check to see if you have Groups turned on and have a Pre-Clip or Post-Clip correction applied. Pages 797-803 of the v11 manual. The Timeline mode is actually very useful, but you do have to be careful if you accidentally dropped a node in there that's unintentionally affecting the entire project.

Return to posts index

Stanton Karim
on Jul 26, 2015 at 4:51:36 am

Thanks Marc that worked. I went to timeline mode at the top right of the Color module and found a node there that was affecting everything. Deleting it fixed everything up. Can't believe this manual is 800+ pages! What a deep program.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jul 26, 2015 at 6:51:20 am

Wait until you see the 1096-page manual for Resolve 12...

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jul 27, 2015 at 3:28:59 am

[Marc Wielage] "Wait until you see the 1096-page manual for Resolve 12..."

Those hoping for a quick half-a-dozen-or-so basic tutorials in 20 minutes or less "getting started" had better find a comfortable chair and a boatload of popcorn. Its going to be a long movie.

The YouTube presentations at 47 minutes are not getting to the point on even the highlight features.

Recently listened to an interview in which the surprising conclusion was that generally people are less happy when they have overchoice and are almost always more dissatisfied with the choices they do make when there are too many options. A couple of years ago I was asked how great it would be if the whole post process could be accomplished in one application -- because I had voiced an opinion that I would rather see a group of dedicated individuals and programs operating in concert. Well, we're kind of into it now. The gripe that one person is going to be held responsible for more and more functions is the way of the future -- unfortunately in a field where one tiny, miniscule, non-obvious, hidden, never-heard-of-it-before miscalculation, oversight, finger problem, whatever, screws the entire process, sometimes with consequences that cost time, money, stress, budgets, delivery deadlines, maybe even jobs. Remember that this is what we asked for.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jul 27, 2015 at 7:17:19 am

[Joseph Owens] " A couple of years ago I was asked how great it would be if the whole post process could be accomplished in one application -- because I had voiced an opinion that I would rather see a group of dedicated individuals and programs operating in concert. Well, we're kind of into it now."
Doh, I'm totally opposed to that. I get that there are low-budget people and students who have zero money and want to try an "all in one" program, but it's not going to do the job.

I continue to insist to anybody who'll listen that editing, VFX, sound editing/mixing, and color are all four completely different skill sets. True, you can color correct a little bit in Avid and Premiere and FCP, and you can edit somewhat in Resolve, but I think you're better off using a dedicated program to do each specific thing, with skilled professionals who know how to use them well.

Where I think the editing features in Resolve 12 will be useful is as an online tool, making last-minute changes, adding sophisticated titles, stitching together segments, syncing up the final track, and delivering the air version or theatrical version at the end. It's basically Symphony for 2015, only with a very full-featured color-corrector. Nothing wrong with that.

I think trying to make one program that does everything is kind of like having a clock radio/refrigerator/microwave oven/dishwasher/garbage disposal in one package. What's the point? It's so much more flexible to have multiple devices you can use at one time, rather than one box that does each thing in a sort of half-assed way. I don't have a problem with people who are skilled at several tasks, but even though I can mix in Pro Tools, I'll be damned if I want to do that on the same box in which I'm color timing.

The biggest advantage I can see for splitting up editing, VFX, sound, and color is that you can have four people working simultaneously without getting in each other's way. I tell producers (particularly TV people) that if you have segment 2 done, we can jump in and get that completely color-corrected before segment 1 is ready, and then just output everything at the end of the day. This can work great, particularly with last-minute changes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]