FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will Resolve 12 Mac require the CUDA driver to be installed with AMD GPUs?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Mueller
Will Resolve 12 Mac require the CUDA driver to be installed with AMD GPUs?
on Jul 23, 2015 at 5:42:42 pm

Lots of Mac CUDA problems on Yosemite - particularly with Premiere

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kitsov
Re: Will Resolve 12 Mac require the CUDA driver to be installed with AMD GPUs?
on Jul 23, 2015 at 7:17:36 pm

Hello.
AMD gpus have no CUDA support. CUDA drivers should not be installed.

Dmitry Kitsov,
Blackmagic Design technical support agent

Return to posts index

Eric Mueller
on Jul 23, 2015 at 8:10:30 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, Dmitry. As I understood it, the previous versions of Resolve required (and installed) the CUDA driver regardless of whether the GPU was NVIDIA or AMD.

Given Apple's direction toward AMD and Open CL, it seems like CUDA may be on the tail end of its life in the Mac OS.

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Jul 24, 2015 at 11:44:06 pm

[Eric Mueller] "Given Apple's direction toward AMD and Open CL, it seems like CUDA may be on the tail end of its life in the Mac OS."

Apple uses both Nvidea and AMD GPUs. Not sure other than price why they went to AMD in the MBPs and trashcan. Glad I have the Late 2013 version of the MBP Retina 15".

I would not be surprised if the next refreshes go back to Nvidea.

Also, don't forget that some highend features are still graded on legacy Mac Pros with Nvidea cards as well as product from bottomfeeders like me.

Y'all be cool,
Robert

Robert A. Ober
IT Consultant, Vidcaster, & Freelancer
http://www.infohou.com
Houston, TX

Return to posts index

Eric Mueller
on Jul 26, 2015 at 6:07:52 pm

Hi Robert,

There have been big issues with the CUDA driver on Yosemite with Premiere and a few other applications (there are long threads in both the Premiere forum here and on Adobe). The problem has been going on for over a year and no one from Apple or NVIDIA will comment on the timeline for a fix. The best solution has been to move to Open CL...which happens to be where Apple is currently headed with its hardware.

NVIDIA may indeed return to Apple hardware, but I don't think CUDA will be driving it. And I somberly say this as an individual using an '09 MacPro with a GTX680 Mac edition and a 2014 MBP with the GT 750M.

Have any Resolve 11/Yosemite/NVIDIA+CUDA users had issues? I'm certainly eyeing v12 as a potential one-stop shop for editing and color.

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Jul 27, 2015 at 8:32:56 pm

[Eric Mueller] "There have been big issues with the CUDA driver on Yosemite with Premiere and a few other applications (there are long threads in both the Premiere forum here and on Adobe). The problem has been going on for over a year and no one from Apple or NVIDIA will comment on the timeline for a fix. The best solution has been to move to Open CL...which happens to be where Apple is currently headed with its hardware."

With CUDA folks can use the some of the same code on multiple platforms.

And yes, I consider Yosemite a virus. This morning I partitioned an external Thunderbolt 2 drive and put Yosemite and R12 Studio Beta on it and the Resolve installer installed a version of CUDA that works with R12. I have not tried Media Composer on that system yet.

Considering Avid and others are also having trouble with Yosemite one can hope that El Capitan is much more solid.

Pros should not update! This is well known but yet some experienced folks still do it.

This Late 2013 MBP 15" Retina is on 10.9.5 . My legacy Mac Pro is on 10.8.5 or 10.8.6 .

Y'all be cool,
Robert

Return to posts index

Eric Mueller
on Jul 27, 2015 at 11:43:57 pm

FWIW, the CUDA issues started with Mavericks. And for better or (as you suggest) for worse, anyone that wants to take advantage of the latest version of Resolve will need Yosemite. I believe the newer versions of MC do as well (I "renewed" my license but didn't install it as I make my transition away from Avid after 20 years...). Office Mac 2016 and the latest Apple productivity apps require it.

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Jul 28, 2015 at 3:43:03 pm

[Eric Mueller] "FWIW, the CUDA issues started with Mavericks. And for better or (as you suggest) for worse, anyone that wants to take advantage of the latest version of Resolve will need Yosemite. I believe the newer versions of MC do as well (I "renewed" my license but didn't install it as I make my transition away from Avid after 20 years...). Office Mac 2016 and the latest Apple productivity apps require it."

Other than the occasional upgrade or downgrade of the CUDA version I have not had issues with it on Mavericks. This laptop has had MC 6.5-8.4 and Resolve 11.0-11.3.1.

I am running the latest MC which is 8.4(resolution independence!) and it runs good on Mavericks. And why does someone need the latest Apple apps? I have Numbers 3.2.2 and it's companions and they are just fine.

By the way folks, the partitioner in Disk Utility is very good. Backup your drive first, but you can create a new partition for a different OS without loosing any data. Either select the drive or partition to boot in preferences or hold the option key while booting.

I find it very unfortunate that BMD would require Yosemite for V12. I suspect it's a support thing as El Capitan will be out this fall and they may not want to support many OS. When I was at Microsoft I supported many versions of DOS and Windows and even OS2 but it can be a pain.

Y'all take care,
Robert

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
on Aug 4, 2015 at 1:59:53 pm

And yes, I consider Yosemite a virus. This morning I partitioned an external Thunderbolt 2 drive and put Yosemite and R12 Studio Beta on it and the Resolve installer installed a version of CUDA that works with R12. I have not tried Media Composer on that system yet.

Why does the above make 10.10 a virus? :-/

You installed new sw that requires cuda on your system
it installed the correct version for you.

:-/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]