FORUMS: list search recent posts

Drop Frame XML Hell

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Taylor
Drop Frame XML Hell
on Jun 29, 2015 at 6:03:52 pm

I'm hoping someone out there has run into this issue at some point, and solved it, cause I sure haven't, yet.

I am trying to conform a Premiere Pro 2014 project that is based on a Drop Frame XML. All clips are pre-loaded into Resolve 11. The clips have a range of frame rates - 23.976, 29.97, and 59.94. The project itself, in Premiere, is 29.97 Drop Frame (DF). After clicking the Drop Frame option in the project settings in Resolve, the XML imports fine, and all the required clips are found. The problem is that I get Extents errors on about 90% of those clips. When I try to Force Conform each clip individually, they are too short.

Also, I've tried changing the sequence settings in Premiere from DF to NDF and exporting a new XML. This seems to work fine in Resolve as everything now comes in and is accessible. However, it is changing the timecode and I worry that we may lose sound sync when the clips are re-imported back into Premiere for final mastering.

What am I doing wrong? Is this even possible in Resolve yet? Or do I need to send it back to editing and have them transcode everything to 29.97? I'd prefer not to make the editor do all that work and am hoping there may be some way to set up Resolve so that I might use the XML they've provided.

Any help/suggestions/etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

-- Pat Taylor
http://colourskyfilms.com

-Pat Taylor

ptaylor@colourskyfilms.com

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
Re: Drop Frame XML Hell
on Jun 29, 2015 at 8:00:16 pm

Have you tried changing the clip framerate in DaVinci for thr non 29.97 clips? Have a look at the TC in the cut list view in the edit page to see what framerate the xml is referencing, ie look for frame numbers above 29, that way you can see how premiere interpreted the footage and go from there. Also check your project settings again in resolve, starting a new project if necessary to change the timeline framerate.

Return to posts index

Patrick Taylor
on Jun 29, 2015 at 9:08:12 pm

I've tried manually converting all non-29.97 clips to 29.97. I still get the extents errors, but I AM able to force confirm them. Unfortunately they play like crap, almost like they're in slow motion.

I'm starting to think that the best solution is to go back to Premiere, change the sequence setting to Non-Drop Frame, export the XML, and use this in Resolve, as this seems to bring everything in looking and playing fine. As long as the clips I output are re-imported into the same, adjusted Premiere timeline, we should be OK. The start and end timecode numbers are different from the original timeline, but I'm thinking that shouldn't make much of a difference as long as things stay consistent.

Whadya think?

-Pat Taylor

ptaylor@colourskyfilms.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 30, 2015 at 4:31:24 am
Last Edited By Michael Gissing on Jun 30, 2015 at 4:32:43 am

Luckily for me I most live with 25 and the odd 24 or 23.976. I am not sure how Pr deals with having a drop frame sequence and dropping in 23.976 which is non drop.

No wonder the xml translation is an issue. Bottom line is I would think that non drop should be the sequence original settings to avoid issues. At the end of the day the same number of frames are being used so after importing back in Pr as non drop what would happen if the sequence was changed to drop for the final output?

Might be worth a test but meanwhile I would go with the non drop xml and sort the final deliverable timecode later. I mean the project can be output to a quicktime ProRes and in Cinema Tools the metadata can be changed to drop frame. Audio sync should remain the same as the actual duration in frames won't change. If in doubt bring the mix wavs into Wave Agent (free software from Sound Devices) and change the frame rate to non drop before marrying with the timeline. Same idea as Cinema Tools, just changing metadata.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]