FORUMS: list search recent posts

Could Resolve 12 kills traditional NLEs ?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fred Jean
Could Resolve 12 kills traditional NLEs ?
on Jun 28, 2015 at 9:24:22 pm
Last Edited By Fred Jean on Jun 29, 2015 at 1:39:53 am

Is it the end of the roundtrippin saga?

I'm quite impressed I must say, maybe probably more than with the latest years on Autodesk Smoke.

Considering also that BM owns Eyeon Fusion...(and this is also a very important and strategical)

I don't know you guys, but got the feeling that a (r)evolution (or an earthquake) is just on the corner.
My Generation (no pun intended with the Who) hates roudtrippin. We really do. I was pissed when Avid killed DS, not that convinced with Smoke editing aspects, but this seems to be a different animal (full status NLE?).

What do you think? End of FCP, Abobe, Avid and LW? or more a Smoke killer?

Fred.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Could Resolve 12 kills traditional NLEs ?
on Jun 29, 2015 at 6:21:34 am

BMD did a terrific demo of the non-liner editing features of Resolve 12 at an LACPUG meeting this past week, and I was very impressed. I know of several FCP7 users who are seriously considering Resolve 12 to replace their aging NLE in a month or two.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jun 29, 2015 at 8:09:31 am

No question yet more work will move onro resolve. But its still not got tge ribust media management a lot of editing work needs.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Jun 29, 2015 at 11:47:27 am

Iiii have a dreaaam...

I click on a clip in the Timeline and Fusion 8 opens...
i can do all my comp without any restrictions of color space, depth, size or whatsoever (because resolve is feeding internal EXR data :) ) and then just return to my grading.
When the comp has been rendered on my external farm the clip pops up as a new version.

That would soooo own everyone.

Resolve 11.3 - Smoke 2015 EXT1 - Sapphire 8
Colorist / VFX Guru / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber
https://dk.linkedin.com/in/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Fred Jean
on Jun 29, 2015 at 5:06:22 pm

Sascha, I think we had the same dream at the same time. I love Fusion better than Nuke (at least it is for my taste - very relative - better implemented.) That would be fantastic such an hassle-free workflow. Seeing how BM thinks, I won't be surprised if this shared dream comes true very soon.

Fred.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 29, 2015 at 4:53:49 pm

Pat, you might still like Resolve 12 if it includes a spell checker! 8^)

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 29, 2015 at 4:46:04 pm

Marc, do you have time to provide more information about the things you liked most about Resolve 12? I suppose tracks might be on the list. Did they demonstrate improvements in handling audio since that was completely rewritten in Resolve 12? Othe standouts? Thanks!

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 29, 2015 at 4:51:16 pm

Fred, when you look at the resource requirements for Resolve 11, they greatly exceed what FCP X requires to run an editor. FCP X can handle 4K on an iMac for example, but Resolve 11 wants a hefty new Mac Pro for 4K. Was there anything in the presentation that indicated Resolve 12 was able to run with less resources?

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Fred Jean
on Jun 29, 2015 at 5:02:15 pm

Rick, yes it is true. Resolve has been very system demanding from quite a long time now. I ignore why is such as I'm not an engineer.

Fred.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 30, 2015 at 4:22:32 am

There are a lot of FCP7 holdouts that see Resolve 12 as the next step. Many editors will be terrified of the grade page at first but as for killing other NLEs well, I doubt it. Currently we have FCP7, X, Pr, Avid, Vegas, Edius, Media100 (just been resurrected) and Lightworks all as viable NLEs for a variety of work (I am sure I missed a few). The new grade options in Pr make it very attractive to non round tripping and many are subscribing for everything from AE to Photoshop so you might want to argue that Adobe CC is the NLE killer including Resolve.

The big thing is can Resolve 12 handle outputting meaningful audio for post. Whilst the idea of staying in the one device for all picture work is a real possibility, audio in most pro workflows will be sent to an audio post facility so OMF, AAF or some sort of xml translation is important to editors choosing Resolve 12 as the edit NLE.Lets see if BM can work some magic there unlike FCPX.

Pr, X & Edius seem to get better real time performance out of the same hardware as Resolve and OFX plugins are so slow compared to those NLEs real time performance plugins. I will use Adobe as well as Resolve for a long time so that compatibility with Ae, Photoshop are maintained and whilst plugins like Warp Stabilizer are superior to Resolves Stabilize functions. Resolve on a laptop?? Compared to other NLEs that will be a deal breaker until Resolve gets better RT.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 30, 2015 at 5:02:55 am

I should also point out that those that have embraced X would rather die than ever have to deal with tracks again. Personally I prefer tracks but those that have drunk at the fountain of Apple will rubbish Resolve 12 as an X look alike with tracks.

No one NLE can ever satisfy the divergent needs of all editors and frankly what would be the result of none NLE having world domination other than megalomania.

Keep the competition strong and healthy. Thanks to Blackmagic for another worthy alternative.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jun 30, 2015 at 6:18:51 am
Last Edited By David Mathis on Jun 30, 2015 at 1:30:19 pm

I am neutral on tracks or the lack of tracks. I do see better trimming and keyframing capabilities in Resolve. It is yet to be seen how the edit page performance will be in 12, once available. The color page is a bit intimidating at first but very flexible. Resolve is a mixed bag for me and probably others due to performance in the edit page. Once that is resolved (pardon the pun as it is not intended) it will be an option worth considering.

Next step is to see if it integrates with Fusion. This could create serious competition for Adobe and could reduce their subscription base. How much that would be is a mystery. Kudos to the BMD team for Resolve and for bringing Fusion to the Mac platform!

Return to posts index

Fred Jean
on Jun 30, 2015 at 9:28:42 am

The integration with Fusion is indeed one of the keys.
Do you have any info on that?

Fred.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jun 30, 2015 at 1:29:42 pm

Oops! I meant to say waiting to see if there is integration between the two. Sorry for the confusion. I have not heard anything on it. Going to edit my original post.

Return to posts index

Fred Jean
on Jun 30, 2015 at 10:03:48 am
Last Edited By Fred Jean on Jun 30, 2015 at 3:46:52 pm

Michael,
I share many of the comments you wrote here.
What about audio? What about RT?...
About stab it could or not be weak depending on the integration with Fusion, because it would be a paradox if they didn't take care of their compo App integration considering the philosophy: "all-in-one"...
All those points and many more we didn't talk about remain to be seen and true that Resolve IMO is
Very demanding in terms on HW perfs. And yes...we'll see. But looks very promissing.

If the product is good, I
Applaude we have another player on the scene.

Fred.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 30, 2015 at 11:44:23 pm

Fusion integration is an important key to the puzzle. I know people hate round tripping but when it gets to finishing we still often have to round trip to applications like Ae or Pr.

The documentary series I am currently working on is the closest I have come to a total finish in Resolve but I fell short on stabilizing. Otherwise grade finish and reversioning have all happened in Resolve from an Avid edit via AAF which had issues with multicam and clips with their proprietary plugins.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Jul 1, 2015 at 4:03:53 pm

[Michael Gissing] "The big thing is can Resolve 12 handle outputting meaningful audio for post. Whilst the idea of staying in the one device for all picture work is a real possibility, audio in most pro workflows will be sent to an audio post facility so OMF, AAF or some sort of xml translation is important to editors choosing Resolve 12 as the edit NLE"

I would also add to this list delivery. The "Deliver" tab in Resolve 11 lacks good presets for mobile, Vimeo, YouTube, etc. It's also hard to save dozens of presets cleanly in Resolve. Compressor and Adobe Media Encoder have such smooth interfaces for having to export many different versions. And more and more the encoding engines are getting hooks for direct links into Amazon S3, Vimeo, YouTube, Frame.io, etc. which can really speed up the workflow.

Before Resolve could replace my usual workhorse it needs:
(1) Better RT on all hardware - iMac, laptop, Mac Pro, PC, etc.
(2) Easier plugin capabilities (OFX do seem to struggle more than in other NLE)
(3) Way better media management
(4) Easy way for multiple editors to engage on the same .drp file for a multi-user environment (not necessarily at the same time, just being able to easily locate project files within database...I see this as a struggle for new users who are used to Avid or Adobe which creates a unique project file for a given job).
(5) Better delivery/encoding options

I'm sure over time BM will address all these. And since they subsidize their software through their hardware sales, I do wonder how other NLE's compete with this. In the race to the bottom of pricing you're always sacrificing something (service? support? features? quality?).

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Jul 7, 2015 at 12:06:00 am

[Michael Gissing] "The big thing is can Resolve 12 handle outputting meaningful audio for post."

There is Export to ProTools menu item in R12. We'll see how well it works.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 8, 2015 at 1:42:16 am

[Michael Gissing] "The big thing is can Resolve 12 handle outputting meaningful audio for post."

"There is Export to ProTools menu item in R12. We'll see how well it works."

Yes I have noted that in a preview video posted by Oliver Peters. It looks promising in that they are doing the audio AAF and a reference vid at the same time. Seems bold but happy if it works as advertised.Might have to volunteer for beta. I use Fairlight/ Reaper and I also have AATranslator which handles AAFs so I can test it on a few different DAWs and translation software.

Return to posts index

Robert Wentz
on Jul 6, 2015 at 8:13:28 pm
Last Edited By Robert Wentz on Jul 6, 2015 at 8:20:35 pm

Among quite a number of obstacles - Unless Blackmagic decides to allow third party Video I/O devices (ie AJA KONA) with Resolve they don't have a chance of causing the revolution that is being hinted at here.

They also should probably get up on finally qualifying (or not) AMD GPUs . . . As of January 2015, this is what Blackmagic support had to say about qualifying AMD GPUs in resolve:
"That's not to say they don't work, just that we haven't tested and verified any at this point"

Return to posts index

Fred Jean
on Jul 8, 2015 at 10:28:17 am

Scratch 8 is more friendly on those aspects.
Have you seen the rental plans? Interesting.

https://vimeo.com/fredjeangasc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]