FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid/Resolve/After Effects workflow tips needed

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arthur Wybrands
Avid/Resolve/After Effects workflow tips needed
on Jun 11, 2015 at 3:14:31 pm

Hi there,
So I'm just discovering the beauty of grading with Resolve and I had some (very basic) questions to ask. Before that, I was only working with Avid and AE.
I am going to work on a small project shot with DSLR and I was wondering what the best workflow would be.
I am working in DNXHD120.
I won't need to do much things in AE at all. Mostly some advanced stabilizing...

I'm thinking of color grading my shots first (it's a small interview project and I'm probably going to use them all) with Resolve and doing the editing in Avid with the Resolve-rendered images. Then send a AAF to After Effects to stabilize a few shots and add some effects if needed.

What is your opinion on this workflow? Knowing that I'm gonna use all the video files, would you rather do the Avid editing and AE stabilizing and only finish with Resolve?
Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Arthur

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Avid/Resolve/After Effects workflow tips needed
on Jun 11, 2015 at 10:34:31 pm

The traditional approach, but this has only been in practice since the mid-80s is to grade the picture lock -- if you have issues with media-handling, there is a proxy workflow with link-back to source media. But if you can edit with source, then export an AAF, it minimizes some overhead-loading with file size. Even if you intend to use every frame, there is merit to grading a picture lock in a contextual story-flow, rather than simply grading everything "best light" and hoping that it will cut against each other.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Arthur Wybrands
on Jun 12, 2015 at 5:12:26 pm

I totally agree with you about the final grading, but what if I wanted to do a quick basic color grading of my footage before editing? I really don't like MC's color correction tools...
I know it's usually not the way to do it, but I am just wondering.
Also I had time to experiment more on Resolve and now I totally see it as a finishing tool for this kind of project!

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jun 12, 2015 at 8:49:37 am

Note also you may not need to stabilize in AE -- Resolve's stabilizer is pretty decent on a lot of material.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Jun 12, 2015 at 6:13:10 pm

And if you really need something to work, use Mocha

Resolve 11.3 - Smoke 2015 EXT1 - Sapphire 8
Colorist / VFX Guru / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber
https://dk.linkedin.com/in/saschahaber

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved