FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating Dailies for MXF DnxHD 36 Metadata not getting copied

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gustavo Jimenez
Creating Dailies for MXF DnxHD 36 Metadata not getting copied
on Jun 4, 2015 at 6:08:34 am

Hello all,

I am trying to create a workflow to export Alexa Apple ProRes files to MXF DNxHD 36 as dailies. The caveat here is that the Editorial House is requesting for the original metadata to be embed into the dailies files.

I am using DaVinci Resolve 11 Lite. My settings are as follows:

- On Master Project Settings>Conform Options> Assist Using Reel Names from: Source Clip File PathName (Pattern: */%R.*)

My Export Settings are:

Render Timeline as: Individual Source Clips
Video Format: MXF
Video Codec: DNxHD 36 8-Bit
Video Data Level: Auto
Data Burn in: Same as Project
Save As: Use Source Filename
Render Unique Filenames
Preserve 2 Levels

According to all the documents I have read both on AVIDs Website and Blackmagic forums this should work. However if I export a test file and then open it in Resolve again, I can't see the Reel Name an any additional information on the Shot & Scene options.

Can someone help me identify what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Gustavo Jimenez

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
Re: Creating Dailies for MXF DnxHD 36 Metadata not getting copied
on Jun 4, 2015 at 3:04:27 pm

We do this all the time. Two things we do differently.

Settings
Assist using reel names from the - embedded in the source files
Deliver
Make unique file names - deselect.

We also provide the XML from the VFS to the edit house. This carries all the additional metadata.
I think VFS can output ALE as well this too might have metadata that Avid can import.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Gustavo Jimenez
on Jun 4, 2015 at 3:10:51 pm

Neil,

Thanks for the response. That was my original approach however its not working thats why I changed to the settings I posted since that was what I found online.

The problem seems to be with the Reel Name, Camera and other Shot & Scene information not carrying to the DNxHD dailies. When I import the files to DaVinci, and click on the original file it does show the data is in there but when I select the dailies version it doesn't show the Camera/Reel Name info.

Original files are from Alexa ProRes 4444.

I am ready to pull my hair! LoL!

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Jun 4, 2015 at 3:19:23 pm

I don't know about the Shot and Scene metadata as we don't have that in our originals.

But timecode in and out, file name, and reel name definitely pass through from ProRes4444 to the DNxHD files. In general, these three parameters are all that's needed for a post conform workflow.

Haven't come across this issue in Resolve versions 9 through 11.2 on a Mac.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Gustavo Jimenez
on Jun 4, 2015 at 6:10:30 pm

Neil,

Thanks for your support. I "found" the issue. The Reel Name is going through on the metadata of the dailies files. The confusion arised when I was looking at the Metadata pane and on the original file I could see the Reel Name and Camera but when clicking the dailies I couldnt. I still dont know why this happens.

How ever if I go to the Media Browser and select the media the Reel Name does show in there as well as TC IN/OUT.

I will keep investigating to see if there is a way to preserve that data information when doing the transcoding.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]