FORUMS: list search recent posts

dual screen setup

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick van den Berg
dual screen setup
on Jun 2, 2015 at 7:44:34 am

Hi,

this is probably not the first time someone asks this, but is it possible (i have a dual screen setup) to have the full image on one screen and the node graph/timeline on the other in the color tab?

it looks like there are only a few options to choose from, and not the one i prefer.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: dual screen setup
on Jun 2, 2015 at 5:33:47 pm

[Rick van den Berg] "have the full image on one screen and the node graph/timeline on the other in the color tab?"

Dual Screen, although a desirable working environment does still suffer from all the GUI-related Operating System caveats in that it is not color-managed in the same way as a Video I/O card is. That is, the video card ignores all the display profile stuff that GPUs are saddled with, to contend with graphic profiles.

That said, review the Manual entry for Dual-Monitor operation and what you can do to set up your operating environment, which does not allow for a lot of customization. It is almost deliberately set up so that you cannot see the color-wheel controls at the same time as a full-screen display of the active GUI reference image. The best you might be able to do is Option-F.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jun 4, 2015 at 4:15:18 am

The only way to color-correct with predictable results is to use a 3rd party color-managed video output card (like the Blackmagic Design HD and 4K products) and calibrate the monitor. You can't believe what you see on computer displays, because the operating system will affect the picture. And computer displays are generally not very accurate.

We need to make this a "sticky" or at least a boilerplate, because this question seems to come up about 9 times a month.

Return to posts index

Rick van den Berg
on Jun 4, 2015 at 7:37:26 am

yeah i know about the blackmagic stuff. i use it in my office with a flanders monitor and it works great. but i cant believe there isnt another way. every other piece of software like premiere and final cut can do it. i guess you're right about the os affecting the colors, but it would still be a feature i really want. hopefully they'll fix it in version 12.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jun 4, 2015 at 6:49:21 pm

[Rick van den Berg] "i use it in my office with a flanders monitor and it works great. but i cant believe there isnt another way. every other piece of software like premiere and final cut can do it."
Every color correction program out there also is typically a 3-monitor setup: one for the GUI, one for scopes, and one for the color monitor. I know of many editors who cut with 3 displays: one for bins and other functions; one for the timeline and source/timeline viewer, and one as a larger hero display that just shows the video output. For me, it'd be very hard to cut without three monitors. Color-correction is almost impossible, at least with the way most colorists I know work every day.

Return to posts index

Rick van den Berg
on Jun 4, 2015 at 7:10:01 pm

i also use three monitors, never want to go back anymore :)

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jun 5, 2015 at 3:32:57 pm

[Rick van den Berg] "every other piece of software like premiere and final cut can do it"

Once again, people are confusing the software-based version of DaVinci color correction with every other piece of player-based NLE out there. Resolve is also hardware-dependent, much less than Renaissance, 8:8:8 or 2K, but there is still that processing requirement. Resolve re-defines the source media and the benefit premise is that it does it in real time -- something that almost none of the NLEs can accomplish without the support of a render-cache.

As for color-consistent, calibrated display... seems like the hardest concept for the world to wrap its head around. Graphics displays just aren't equipped to do it. Searching for a colorful metaphor.... its not just an elitist conceit that Boston Baked Beans are not Cassoulet -- its not even the right kind of bean.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]