FORUMS: list search recent posts

Choppy Footage playback

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gina Sarentino
Choppy Footage playback
on May 25, 2015 at 8:36:29 pm

Hey all, Im working on a windows and so far I seem to be getting terrible issues with my exports from resolve.
My project file is in Premiere Pro CC, I export an XML of my sequence and I open it in Resolve, after I do my grading I go to deliver and set it to Final Cut Pro XML Round-trip. The footage exports as Quicktime uncompressed 10bit, when I take this footage to Premiere pro the footage does not playback properly and is terribly laggy.

Can anyone provide any ideas as to why this is happening?

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
Re: Choppy Footage playback
on May 25, 2015 at 9:28:42 pm

Uncompressed 10 bit is huge and almost certainly unnecessary. It is likely that your disk speed is limiting the playback (it can't read the uncompressed files fast enough). Try switching the export format to ProRes or DNxHD from Resolve and I'm sure you'll be fine!

Return to posts index

Gina Sarentino
on May 25, 2015 at 9:35:35 pm

Thanks for the reply, but Im on a windows and I dont have a pro ress option. Also this is going to go for cinema as a final output, what would you suggest would be the highest quality export from resolve?

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kitsov
on May 25, 2015 at 9:56:26 pm

On Windows you may chose dbxhd or cineform. For all intents and purposes dnxhd is an equivalent of protest quality wise for the same bit rates. High quality of dnxhd 4:4:4 is available.

Dmitry Kitsov,
Blackmagic Design technical support agent

Return to posts index

Gina Sarentino
on May 25, 2015 at 10:04:01 pm

Thanks for the Prompt reply Dmitry, now I have a few more questions. My footages are 6k and 5k RED files that I bring into reseolve from premiere, I want to preserve their resolution when I take it back to premeire. Could this be causing the issue, because when I do a 1080p render of my timeline from resolve it seems to play fine.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 25, 2015 at 10:49:08 pm

Again drive speed. RED files have data compression so you need to output files with data compression to be able to play off your drives. DNx has already been mentioned which works on Win versions of Resolve.

You need to run the Blackmagic drive speed tester to see what you can and can't play in real time.

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kitsov
on May 25, 2015 at 10:54:01 pm

There are very few formats allowing you to preserve original resolution above 4k/uhd. In general Resolve should be the last step in the image processing pipeline with the output at the deliverable resolution, though it depends on the specific work flow.
You might explore using cineform codes. Keep in mind that once debayered, r3d and other images originated as raw, will occupy at least 3 times the storage.

Dmitry Kitsov,
Blackmagic Design technical support agent

Return to posts index

Gina Sarentino
on May 25, 2015 at 10:59:32 pm

See the problem is I have a very complicated workflow and would need to output from Premiere. I will play around with cineform codecs and see what happens and get back if I have any questions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]