Davinci stibalizer versus AE warp stabalizer

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ali Quintana
Davinci stibalizer versus AE warp stabalizer
on May 24, 2015 at 8:45:33 am

Davinci Stabilizer versus AE warp stabilizer

which is better?

I heard that Davinci has one of the best stabilizers in the industry. But what about AE warp stabilizer?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Davinci stibalizer versus AE warp stabalizer
on May 24, 2015 at 10:13:13 pm

In my experience on hand held doco material either stabilizer will do a fine job but for miracles Warp Stabilizer is more likely to deliver, particularly on rolling shutter jello. I am about to upgrade to CC from CS6 and I know Warp Stabilizer in CC is better again so it has the edge over Resolve.

Try stabilizing in Resolve as you go but if it needs a bit of magic then take those shots into Pr or Ae.

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on May 25, 2015 at 12:13:35 am

Thx, for sharing your experience.

but does that mean u stabilize in Davince and then bring that stabilized footage ito AE???

I dont think u mean that, just try in resolve, and the try moving stabilized footage in AE to try there.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 25, 2015 at 3:57:20 am

I don't recommend double stabilizing. If it works in Resolve then fine but if you are not happy then take those shots into Ae or Pr post grade without stabilizing in Resolve.

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on May 25, 2015 at 4:07:55 am

Thats how I feel about it too....

Just one small question...

Does it really matter what goes first... stabilizing or first color grading and than stabilizing?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 25, 2015 at 4:45:23 am

Depends on the camera format. If it is a codec like r3d or any form of RAW, then you want to do the grade and render first. If it is just a baked in codec like ProRes or DNxHD then it doesn't matter. The stabilized shot will have to be rendered which would be a problem with some codecs maintaining the access to RAW information.

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on May 25, 2015 at 5:01:12 am

Makes good sense.. interesting, thank you.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 25, 2015 at 5:35:04 am

One final thing about post grade is that you are just stabilizing the shot as cut in plus handles, rather than having to find and render just the timecode range required.

It just makes it easier to drop the new shot over the old one as they will be identical length post the grade render

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on May 26, 2015 at 7:15:53 am

And whatever tool you use (i use Mocha) , make sure you do not overstabilize it.
If the motion blur in the picture asks for some motion, talk your producer out of it and honor your DOPs choice of shooting hand held.
I love the speed Resolve is doing this is, allowing me to demonstrate different levels of stability vs motion.

Resolve 11.3 - Smoke 2015 EXT1 - Sapphire 8
Colorist / VFX Guru / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber
https://dk.linkedin.com/in/saschahaber

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]