FORUMS: list search recent posts

Titan-X in Netstor GPU-expander not detected

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roman Stricker
Titan-X in Netstor GPU-expander not detected
on May 16, 2015 at 12:08:08 am

Hi there!
I just got two Titan-X and put them into my Netstor 255A which is connected to a mid 2012 MacPro 5.1 One of the Titans shows up in the system profiler and works correctly while the other one is not recognized and no kernel extension is loaded.
I'm on the latest drivers: 346.01.02f03 for the web driver, and Cuda is 7.0.36 for the K5000forMac which is serving inside the MacPro for GUI purposes.
I am not familiar with scripting kexts - nevertheless I'd try since I need to get that second Titan running. Can anyone give some advice??
Thanks in advance guys!

Return to posts index

Mike Most
Re: Titan-X in Netstor GPU-expander not detected
on May 16, 2015 at 1:03:48 am

Is there anything else in the expander? And do you happen to have a Red Rocket X card in this system?

Return to posts index

Roman Stricker
on May 16, 2015 at 1:05:36 am

Nope, nothing else, just those two Titan-X and I don't have a RED Rocket...

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on May 16, 2015 at 1:15:03 am

Have to ask this: Are you running full Resolve (i.e., with a dongle) or Resolve Lite?

Return to posts index

Roman Stricker
on May 16, 2015 at 1:24:56 am

Full version, 11.3.1
But I guess the problem starts already on the OS-level. As I wrote: in the system profiler only one Titan is detected correctly. The other one is just described as "display" and it says that "no kext is loaded".

But I should add this: I removed one of the Titans today to replace it with the ATI RADEON 5770 that originally came with the MacPro. That one was in deed correctly identified by the system profiler... (It didn't appear in Resolve's preferences though but I am not sure if it meet's the criteria to be recognized by Resolve as a GPU in the first place.

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on May 16, 2015 at 1:38:28 am

You might want to try replacing the GUI card with the ATI and see if that enables the system to see both Titans. And make sure you don't have "use display GPU for compute" enabled in Preferences/Video IO and GPU..

Return to posts index

Roman Stricker
on May 16, 2015 at 1:40:56 am

I'll try this though I'd bet 10 bucks this won't make a difference. Using GUI for GPU is already turned off. I'll get back with the result...

Return to posts index

Brian De Herrera-Schnering
on May 16, 2015 at 3:11:02 am

Just a guess, but I assume you're on Yosemite? And doesn't Yosemite have a 2 GPU limit?

Return to posts index

Roman Stricker
on May 16, 2015 at 8:11:44 am

2 external GPU and one internal GUI-card - so I am save here.
But yes, this is a system running on Yosemite 10.10.3

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on May 16, 2015 at 2:27:55 pm

[Brian De Herrera-Schnering] "And doesn't Yosemite have a 2 GPU limit?"

It has a 2 nVIDIA GPU limit, otherwise more AMD/ATI GPUs are supported. I have a twin Titan Black GPU array running in a Cubix Xpander with an ATI5770 running as UI in the mainframe. Very important that all drivers and CUDA versions are up to date. At the moment I am refraining from doing any updates whatsoever to my Yosemite system as it appears that Apple is trying to break the use of nVidia hardware -- and getting very tired of waiting 24-36-48 hours for the latest fix to the fix to the fix to something that should never have been broken.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Roman Stricker
on May 16, 2015 at 2:42:34 pm

Thanks Joseph! If that should be the case, the solution would be easy. Now I'm really eager to test that as soon as I get back to the office. Nevertheless I wonder about Resolve's config guide: Quadro K5000 is recommended for GUI and several other cards from NVIDIA for GPU (of course not the Titan-X, I'm aware that this is uncharted territory). So that would make three NVIDIAs in total here as well. Hmmm...
This goes or Mavericks, but I guess it should be the same for Yosemite since the big step of limiting external GPUs to only three happened with the evolution from OSX 10.8 to 10.9

I just remember I once had three Quadro K5000 for Mac in my system and this went without any problem (don't remember if this was under 10.8 or 10.9 though). The problems started with trying the GeForce series. Actually I have tried before with a pair of Titan Blacks and GTX 980s of which none, not even a single one would be recognized at all. So to this extend the one Titan-X running now is already a little success ; ) Nevertheless one wants the whole thing!

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on May 17, 2015 at 10:06:24 pm

Well, i have three GTX in the Cubix and a Q4000 as system card.
Under 10.9.5 I could access all three, with 10.10.4 only two of them.
Perfect downgrade, thanks Tim.

Resolve 11.3 - Smoke 2015 EXT1 - Sapphire 8
Colorist / VFX Guru / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber
https://dk.linkedin.com/in/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Roman Stricker
on May 17, 2015 at 10:10:39 pm

And how did installing those GTX work for you, Sascha? Was it more or less plug & play or did you do anything special as to drivers and so? Do you have any idea what my system profiler's message of "no kext loaded" points to?
THANX!

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on May 18, 2015 at 12:09:55 am

I can confirm this issue as Joe does with Cubix - its a 2 card Nvidia issue. If your GUI card is an AMD card you'll be able to address both the Titan X cards you have in the expander.

I have 2 rooms with same setup you're using -Titan Xs 10.10.3

Apple is indeed trying to screw Nvidia users in my opinion. But they're also saying no no no you don't need multiple GPUs!

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
My Books
Online Training
Twitter
Blog
Mixing Light Powered By The Tao Of Color

Return to posts index

Roman Stricker
on May 18, 2015 at 12:13:37 am

Be sure that's the first thing I'll check tomorrow morning!
Still: It's confusing that Sascha has a working 3-nvidia-card-setup. Somehow this whole topic seem to contain some inconsistency...

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on May 18, 2015 at 3:34:45 am

No, actually Sascha is reporting the same issue -- that he could see three under OS 10.9 but only a maximum of two under 10.10.

This is a chicken-and-egg problem with the more advanced nVidia cards (especially un-flashed non-native Mac-approved hardware). We could run several cards up to and including Mountain LIon, but they had to be Mac-compatible -- I had three flashed GTXs plus a Q4000 running in one system under Mountain Lion, but wanted to jump up to the Titans for many more CUDA cores -- but, you have to move forward into Mavericks/Yosemite for the system to see them, but Apple in their non-finite wisdom cut the maximum number of recognized processors to a maximum of two of those type.

Its still worth doing, but the MacPro chassis itself has to be at least a 5,1. This tiot never ends.

jPo

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on May 18, 2015 at 1:06:21 pm

Well, i am also royally confused as i am intact using three nvidia cards.
But maybe they are talking about GPUs ?
Or does the Titan count for two ?

Resolve 11.3 - Smoke 2015 EXT1 - Sapphire 8
Colorist / VFX Guru / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber
https://dk.linkedin.com/in/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on May 18, 2015 at 3:09:20 pm

[Sascha Haber] "But maybe they are talking about GPUs ? "

Are they "flashed" Mac-compatible or Apple-approved versions? Maybe that is the difference. Most users don't want to go through the process when the non-Apples can be added directly under later OS versions -- albeit with the total number being limited.

jPo

Return to posts index

Roman Stricker
on May 18, 2015 at 3:21:08 pm

Hi Sasha, that screenshot of yours is interesting. Because one of your GTX is also recognized as "Display". When you click on „Display“, doesn't it say "no kext loaded"? This it what I had been seeing here, when one of my Titan-X wasn't recognized. I mean, are you really sure, you are using the power of all three GTX? Does realtime-playback in Resolve get any slower, when you remove one GTX from the cubix?

Anyways, I had a pleasant surprise this morning: changing the K5000 to the ATI made both of my Titan-X now show up in the system profiler. And in Resolve I can see that it's really doing it's work. The realtime playback speed on my RED reference clip with tons of nodes and mattes would increase from 7,5 to 15fps. So it's really there!

Coming back to Joes latest post, I think we have two issues here - as far as I understand the matter:

A) Apple decreased the number of externaly usable GPU with the introduction of Mavericks down to just two, no matter what manufacturer the cards come from. (again waiting for Sascha to proof me wrong on this point)

B) Nvidia cards that are not MAC-specific like the GTX series do have some sort of problem. Though both of us are on a Mac 5.1 with Yosemite Sascha’s system recognizes at least two if not three external GTX plus a GUI card from Nvidia whereas my system would only let my use the two Titan-X with an ATI in place for GUI. Of course I also put in my newly unemployed Quadro K5000 into the Netstor expander. Result: The Mac wouldn’t boot, the screen remained black…

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on May 18, 2015 at 6:02:06 pm

>Anyways, I had a pleasant surprise this morning: changing the K5000 to the ATI made both of my Titan-X >now show up in the system profiler. And in Resolve I can see that it's really doing it's work. The realtime >playback speed on my RED reference clip with tons of nodes and mattes would increase from 7,5 to 15fps. >So it's really there!

I'm not surprised. That's why I suggested it. We've already gone through this. The reason I asked about a Red Rocket X is because the system considers that to be a GPU, so it will not work in a configuration like yours (ours was nearly identical) without removing one of the Titan Blacks. We ultimately were able to swap out the ATI card for a GT 120, which the system would allow while see seeing the Titan Blacks in the expander. So if you want to be "all Nvidia" and have access to that card you might want to try that.

Glad you got it working. Sorry you have the same problem many of us now have......

Return to posts index

Roman Stricker
on May 18, 2015 at 10:47:41 pm

Thanks, Mike! But if you were able to replace your ATI GUI card with a GT 120 it is obviously sometimes possible to get a set-up with three Nvidias working - but then again sometimes not. Would be great to know for which Nvidia cards this is true...
But I am not a Nvidia fanatic so I actaully don't care if there is an ATI or Nvidia card responsible for displaying my GUI - or should I? But what I do care about is getting the most out of my system. I could measure that with the Quadro K5000 installed for GUI and the "use display GPU for compute"-option activated it would give me an additional power of about one third of a single Titan-X. Now with the ATI Radeon HD7550 in place I don't get any extra power from that card at all. It doesn't effect the playback speed wether the "use display GPU for compute"-option is activated or not. Does anyone have a recommendation which card to use (not going above the 1.000 Euro line)?

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on May 19, 2015 at 4:43:41 am

I checked the system again because I wasn't completely sure it was a 120 that we put back in and I was right. It was a Mac specific Quadro 4000. So we're running with essentially the same setup that Sasha has, a Quadro 4000 Mac Edition in slot 1 inside the tower running the GUI, and 2 Titan Blacks in a Cubix expander. Both Titans are seen and used by Resolve, and when we need to put in a Red Rocket X (we have one on this show just in case) we remove one of the Titans.

Sorry for the confusion. What I recall now is that we originally went with a Titan Black as the GUI card, and then pulled that and put the ATI in to make sure we could see both Titans in the expander. We had some playback issues with the ATI in place, so we tried putting the Quadro 4000 in and that solved it. BTW, all of this started because we originally set up a system using a 12 core "trashcan" Mac Pro, but had rendering issues (widely reported by others as well) with Resolve. Those issues disappeared when we went back to the older tower.

Return to posts index

Roman Stricker
on May 20, 2015 at 9:11:02 am

I just tried the same thing: Pulled out the ATI again and put back in the K5000. Since the temporary presence of the ATI in your system, Mike, seems to have triggered something, I was hoping for some extra power from the K5000 for my system as well. But no, i wouldn't work. Again only one Titan-X is beeing detected while the other one shows up as "display" in the system settings and one can see that it doesn't contribute any GPU power to Resolve.
Now I wonder: There are two system here in this forum running on at least two Nvidia GTX-something and a Quadro K4000 for Mac and there is my system refusing to run on two GTX Titan-X and a Quadro K5000 for Mac. All of us are on a 12 core Mac 5.1 with Yosemite. Now where the heck is the difference between our systems that lets you guys succeed and me not?!?

Return to posts index

Roman Stricker
on May 26, 2015 at 8:55:10 pm

Still I didn't make my peace with the situation as it is. I was following up the thought of beefing up my AMD GUI card to use its bigger processing power also for computing in Resolve. But reading other threads made me believe that this is not possible since Resolve will not accept a brand mix for computing. Anyone any experiences with that?

Return to posts index

Regis Frossard
on Jun 17, 2015 at 12:23:30 pm

Hi guys,

Just an update, with a Cubix (same as Nestor I presume)
This is what I have tested so far:

I updated my Mac Pro 5,1 to Yosemite 10.10.3 with the latest Cuda and Nvidia drivers.
Primary card GTX 770 4GB --> no problem
In Cubix, 4xGTX Titan 6GB --> only 2 are recognised by the system

Cheers
Regis

Return to posts index

Ritz Carltn
on Sep 25, 2015 at 4:42:35 am
Last Edited By Ritz Carltn on Sep 25, 2015 at 5:10:18 am

Is this Correct in Yosemite, 10.10.5, with MacPro 5,1?
Not sure can add one more GPU....
Somebody?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]