FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing Raw files from Canon+ML in Resolve

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alex gat
Editing Raw files from Canon+ML in Resolve
on May 9, 2015 at 3:51:22 pm

Hello,

My question is fairly simple but I am new to editing raw material and new to Davinci Resolve too. So I would like to be sure of how to do this.

I am shooting raw files with MagicLantern on my Canon 5Dmk3.
I understand that I need to convert the raw files into cinemaDNG files, for that I use RAWMagic.
Then I can import my DNG files into Davinci.

Now, can I just start and edit the dng files ?
A lot of people create proxies or prores because they want to edit with FinalCut or Premiere, but if I want to stay and edit with Resolve, do I have to create proxies or prores files ?

Thank you.
Alex

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
Re: Editing Raw files from Canon+ML in Resolve
on May 10, 2015 at 12:54:12 am

If you have a modern GPU and reasonably fast disks it's best to stay with native files. If you are not getting Realtime playback, then you should transcode to DNxHR or ProRes.

Return to posts index

Thomas Worth
on May 10, 2015 at 10:33:53 am

Alex, as Rohit pointed out you'll need a fast disk/SSD to play back the DNG sequences with Resolve. The new RAWMagic update, 1.3, helps with this a little since it now writes compressed CinemaDNG files (smaller file size = faster playback). On a recent project, however, I didn't edit DNG files. I just exported ProRes 4444 versions of the RAWMagic DNG sequences from Resolve and edited everything in Premiere (you can also edit DNGs from RAWMagic in Premiere). There were a bunch of VFX shots, so it just made sense to convert everything down to ProRes 4444. Once it was cut, I bought everything back into Resolve via XML export from Premiere and then did the grade with the original DNGs and completed VFX shots (which were output as ProRes 4444 MOVs). Worked great!

Return to posts index

alex gat
on May 10, 2015 at 11:12:15 am

Thank you both. It's clear to me now.

A last question though.
I see a lot of people go back and forth from and to resolve/premiere. I come from FCP7 and did not choose to go into FCPX. Is not resolve a 'good enough' editing software to prefer to go to premiere ?
If the reason is to use its relationship with adobe afterfx I understand but as I am not a VFX kind of editor, I'd like to give a shot at resolve for editing. Beside, I understand that the editing part of resolve is very new, but my guess is that they will want to make it a serious alternative to others editors.
What are you thoughts about this ?

Thank again.
Alex

Return to posts index

Thomas Worth
on May 12, 2015 at 1:19:02 pm

My decision to cut with Premiere wasn't based on its interoperability with After Effects, if that answers that question. I just know Premiere and am comfortable with it. I did look into using Resolve at one point as an NLE, and although it seemed competent enough to do a rough assembly I was turned off by its lack of decent sound capabilities. That may be different now with all the updates to Resolve. I'd give it a try as it would be great to not have to roundtrip XMLs between Premiere and Resolve.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]