FORUMS: list search recent posts

Track Ball Orientation Avid Artist Color

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johannes Furrer
Track Ball Orientation Avid Artist Color
on May 8, 2015 at 3:38:40 pm

Hey everybody!

I'm experiencing some weird issues with my artist control surface and davinci resolve lite 11.

When I move a track ball to the left, the respective control in Resolve will move to the lower left. Same goes for the y axis of the track balls, meaning it'll not just move up when I move the track ball up, but it'll move to the upper left. So all my inputs seem to be askew by like 30 degrees counter clockwise (for all of the track balls by the way).

Apart from the Option to completely change how Resolve interprets the track ball data (davinci mode and "Rank" mode) I haven't found a way to adjust the orientation of the track balls. Naturally I'd want the curser in resolve to move exactly the way I move the track ball.

Have any of you ever seen this kind of behaviour?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Track Ball Orientation Avid Artist Color
on May 9, 2015 at 1:30:28 am

The orientation of trackball mode IS controlled in the config menu. The old Rank configuration I believe was about 180-degrees from following the vectorscope (I seem to recall green was at 12:00), but starting with the Rank URSA scanner (and the ARCAS color-correction system), they went with the trackballs moving in the same direction as the Vectorscope. I can recall a time in the mid-1990s when I worked for a company where half the rooms were one way, and half the rooms were the other... kind of like patting your head while rubbing your stomach. After a year or two of confusion, everybody eventually agreed that going in the same direction as the Vectorscope made the most sense.

Check Project Settings -> Control Panel -> Grading Style, and select daVinci. At worst, reboot, power-cycle, and restart and see if it takes.

Return to posts index

Johannes Furrer
Re: Track Ball Orientation Avid Artist Color
on May 9, 2015 at 11:53:26 am

Tahnk you for your response.

But we already found the option with the "Rank" and the "Davinci" mode. Davinci Mode should represent the axis of the hue circle, but like I said it's shifted by a few degrees. Not a lot.
In fact I found something interesting in Avid Media Composer:

Apart from the "normal" X and Y axis (which go straight up vertically and straight across horizontally), there are two more axes, that say 90°, 180°, -90° and 0°, which are shifted by a few degrees. THAT is pretty much the axis I'm moving on in Resolve.
Meaning in Media Composer moving the trackball straight to the left makes the curser in the hue circle move straight to the left. Doing the same thing in Resolve would make the cursor move to the left on that other axis (so left and a little bit down)

Moving a trackball up and down in resolve is moving the curser along the axis that represents red.
I'd love for it to move along the straight up vertical axis though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]