FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve vaporizes or machine shutdown under pressure - anyone else seeing this?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nat Jencks
Resolve vaporizes or machine shutdown under pressure - anyone else seeing this?
on Apr 24, 2015 at 3:53:05 am

I'm seeing resolve vaporize or occasionally the whole machine shut down when the GPU is under heavy load.

Specifically when optical flow retiming is being used its easy to reproduce. Also happened a few times when using Neat NR.

The console logs show "GPU RESET".

Temporary workaround is to cache or pretender anything with optical flow temporal NR, etc. but this is a big problem.

Seeing this on two different machines (both nMP 12 core D700s) OS 10.10.2.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Resolve vaporizes or machine shutdown under pressure - anyone else seeing this?
on Apr 25, 2015 at 2:40:29 am

I have had Resolve crash when adjusting a specific knob in a specific mode, particularly Window Opacity. Happened two or three times in a row on me the other day. Haven't yet upgraded to 11.3, and for all I know that might fix the problem.

Optical Flow is very demanding from a GPU point of view, particularly in 4K-5K. I'd submit a bug report and make sure it's on the record.

Return to posts index

Nat Jencks
Re: Resolve vaporizes or machine shutdown under pressure - anyone else seeing this?
on Apr 25, 2015 at 5:55:52 pm

Yeah, I've filed multiple bug reports with BMD, submitted Log files and even given them a project where they can easily reproduce the problem, but I'm surprised that other are not more frustrated by this.

This is new behavior for me, I'm used to the system being quite stable with a crash maybe once every two weeks even when using a combination of OFX and some optical flow retiming and TNR.

This application vaporizing behavior is new and very frustrating to say the least. I can work around it by turning off optical flow retiming and avoiding OFX for now, but thats not a real solution. Its hard for me to pin point exactly what has changed but I can say that its not specific to hardware since I"m seeing it across two systems.

My guess is that its related to Resolve 11.3, or Mac OS 10.10.3 (and accompanying D700 drivers) or a combination of the two.

The frustrating thing is that this configuration is not exactly an obscure one, its the single most common setup and I would assume it would be the primary testing platform for BMD.

Best-
-N

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Apr 26, 2015 at 1:09:50 pm

I'm running resolve v11.3 on a MacBook Pro Retina 15", 16Gb RAM, with nVidia video card. It's just a simple fact that I can't run 4K and Neatvideo FX. I repeatedly get "out of memory" warning messages before Resolve quits.I believe the message is referring to GPU memory and not system RAM.

Return to posts index

Nat Jencks
on Apr 26, 2015 at 3:01:47 pm

Bill, I think in your case the system your using simply doesn't have enough memory (either vRAM or standard RAM) to do what your trying to do (I agree it would be nice if it failed more elegantly than giving an out of memory error and quiting).

In my case I think there is something different going on, as this is something which has changed with the recent update of resolve or the OS, and this "vaporizing" behavior is new for me and I'm seeing it on multiple machines. In my case I don't think the vaporizing is due to lack of VRAM or standard RAM (the systems I'm using are maxed out at 6GB VRAM and 64GB RAM) but rather are the result of specific buggy code with the GPU either in the AMD drivers, OpenCL, or Resolve which is causing these "GPU RESET" errors.

Thanks for the feedback!
-N

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]