FORUMS: list search recent posts

Grading ProRes HQ Quicktime

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Keller
Grading ProRes HQ Quicktime
on Apr 23, 2015 at 2:58:08 am

Hi all,

About to grade a project using a final Quicktime export and had a few questions about settings for the file I'd be working off of. I'll be finishing at 1080p and the footage was shot in 8-bit with the a7s @ 1080p and a GoPro @ 2.7K. Is ProRes HQ overkill for the format I would receive the Quicktime in? Thanks for your help.

-Jake

Return to posts index

David Baud
Re: Grading ProRes HQ Quicktime
on Apr 23, 2015 at 4:37:55 am

Nope. This is what I would do as well.

David Baud
Post & VFX
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 23, 2015 at 5:27:29 am
Last Edited By Joseph Owens on Apr 23, 2015 at 5:30:03 am

[Jake Keller] "Is ProRes HQ overkill for the format I would receive the Quicktime in?"

For 1080P 8-bit, probably. Plain vanilla ProRes 422 is still a 10-bit container and will be just fine.

If you use any tricks to try to improve the chromaticity resolution, I would render the graded media in HQ, though. Something you can try is to "smooth" the U/V vectors with a little blur in a node swapped to YUV mode.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Jake Keller
on Apr 23, 2015 at 6:19:03 am

Thank you for the replies guys. Joseph, I'm not a very advanced Resolve user, where in the Color tab can I swap the node to YUV?

One other question regarding bit rates, this time from the C300 with no external recorder. Cutting on 422 transcodes at the moment and not finishing on a Quicktime. Should I reingest to HQ media for the online?

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 23, 2015 at 7:14:34 pm

each node can be set up to behave differently: I set up a unque first node in the process tree, right-click on that node and a conversion dialog will be part of the options. Shut off the individually checkmarked process applied to luminance, so that any applied filter, whether blur, sharpening, or whatever will only affect the chroma channels, leaving the luminance channel unchanged. this is an old trick usually applied to improve chroma keying.

working with HQ in "online" won't make any qualitative difference, conveting the C300 to an intra codec may help with other processes, though.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]