FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid Round Trip And Relinking Resolve Clips

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Williams
Avid Round Trip And Relinking Resolve Clips
on Apr 22, 2015 at 2:54:16 pm

Hello
I have done many Avid round trips out of Resolve but ultimately I am told by the editor there is not a way to Bulk Relink all the clips to their finished project. They have been basically rebuilding the show from my exported clips which takes a lot of time. Does anyone know if there is a way to point to a folder with sub folders holding individual clips from Resolve and have them relink to the show so that its pretty transparent and easy on the editors?? The shows that I am referencing too have about 1200 clips and use pieces from the same clip so I don't know if adding the prefix is causing a problem but its either that or Event Folders.
Can this also be done with Premier??
Thanks

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Avid Round Trip And Relinking Resolve Clips
on Apr 22, 2015 at 3:41:50 pm

[Dave Williams] "Does anyone know if there is a way to point to a folder with sub folders holding individual clips from Resolve and have them relink to the show"

Maybe I am missing something here, but --- what are they doing?

Did the exported AAF from Resolve not work?

Wa the exported graded media not in a single MXF directory and numbered according to its position on the timeline?

There is a ball being dropped somewhere.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Dave Williams
on Apr 22, 2015 at 4:01:54 pm

I did send them an AAF but they did not use it because they said that most of the effects did not come back with it.....rather they had me dump the graded material back into the same folder that I pointed too for the import of their AAF which I did not feel comfortable with but they wanted it that way. Should most of the effects come back with my AAF and why can I not drop my graded material into it's own folder? Also which is the best way to go, clips with prefix V1-001 or sub folders with event numbers?
I am with you I think they need to use my AAF to import with but there is the issue of the missing effects.
Also I am running into a issue where when I import using their sizing it always comes in wrong?? Pushed in too far or something. These shows have multiple speeds and resolutions which Resolve can handle but never figured out how to make sizing transparent...

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 23, 2015 at 5:10:12 am

Most of these items are ones that I have real concerns with as well -- unfortunately many imbedded filters are not re-transmitted either accurately or at all as part of the AAF round trip. If there are issues with aspect ratio or re-sizing, sometimes the PTRZ translations are not exact, either -- typically, though these should flow-through the round trip without being affected -- the caveat being that for example, a previously non-square clip will, of course behave differently if it has been transcoded through the re-render process. The whole round trip strategy works better if there isn't a lot of re-scaling going on because that math gets weird, and of course there are some processes that are just opaque between manufacturers.

Generally, though the direct import of a roundtrip AAF with single-directory exposure of the graded clips should be less problematic as a re-conform than trying to do absolutely everything from scratch with an attempted re-link. If there are really that many imbedded filters... to a certain extent... how would you know that the correction that was being applied was either valid or contributing to improving the final product? Granted there is not the transparency between NLEs with the ability to copy and paste attributes like that found in FCP7 -- at the very least, its not as though you've been forced into a position of returning a baked complete timeline. At least, not yet.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Apr 24, 2015 at 3:50:41 pm

File names, folder numbers, and the like mean nothing to Avid. They're present for you to be able to know what you have, but Avid doesn't care about any of those things. All it cares about is the time code and tape name in the MXF headers. Given the editors' concerns, you'd probably be better off importing without the original sizing and not using an Avid roundtrip workflow. Just make sure you've selected the proper criteria for retaining original file names as the tape name (i.e., in the Conform Options section on the general setup page, choose assist using Source File Name, assuming that's what they used in the first place) and render individual clips with handles. The editors should be able to relink any existing sequence by using Relink to Selected. They'll need to import your clips (they can just drag the .mdb file that Avid creates from the numbered folder to a new bin), select all of those clips, select the sequence, and relink using tape and time code. That way your media is replacing their original media in the same timeline, so everything will be applied as it was originally. You will need to make sure that you're not applying any effects in your Resolve project for this to work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]