FORUMS: list search recent posts

Setting up a screen for color correction

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frimann Kjerulf
Setting up a screen for color correction
on Apr 10, 2015 at 2:02:50 am

Hi there

I'm about to color correct my first short movie and have chosen Davinci Resolve as the tool for the job. But what I'm mostly wondering about is how I should go about setting up my screen and adjusting it to give me the most accurate results.

I have a NEC SpectraView 2690 display and a Pantone Eye-One Display 2 calibrator.

I'm aiming to show this film in a local cinema here in Iceland, so would like to have my setup calibrated in the best way possible for that. Are there any methods I should go by regarding the calibration process? Also I'm wondering if there is any good test footage that I can use to check if the screen is calibrated correctly.

I'm totally new to this business of grading, so any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Also if this is the wrong part of the forum to post this question, please advice me on where it should be more at home

Thanks for a great forum, looking forward to your answers!

regards
Frímann Kjerúlf

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Setting up a screen for color correction
on Apr 10, 2015 at 3:13:40 am

I don't believe the Pantone will be enough to calibrate a monitor for Rec709.

Read Steve Shaw's technical reports and explanations on his Light Illusions website:

http://www.lightillusion.com/why_calibrate.html

Be aware that even with a great monitor set up in Rec709, it's difficult to get a small monitor to duplicate the experience of seeing a large screen theatrical projection display in P3 color space. Just the sheer size and the lower brightness levels are hard things to compensate for.

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
Re: Setting up a screen for color correction
on Apr 10, 2015 at 1:49:05 pm

SPECTRACAL also makes a color calibration tool called Calman. Calman RGB is designed for calibration of computer LCD screens for a number of different standards, including REC709, DCI, etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]