FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid Artist Color and Resolve 11 Lite

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johannes Furrer
Avid Artist Color and Resolve 11 Lite
on Mar 18, 2015 at 12:11:25 am

Hey everybody!

I know this has come up in the past, but I never found a discussion anywhere where a solution to the problem had been found. At least not for a windows machine.

I'm using an Avid Artist Color Panel with Davinci Resolve Lite 11 on an HP z820 Workstation running Win7 64bit. The GPU is a Quadro K4000 and there's a Deckling 4k video card installed for external 1080p monitoring. The current EUControl Software is 2.7 (I tried updating to the latest one but Resolve wouldn't react to any inputs from the panel) and the firmware of the panel is 1.7 (again, with installing the latest EUControl Software I also tried updating to 1.8, but since this made everything worse I decided to downgrade again).

Resolve reacts really slow to any inputs i make on the artist color. Subtle motions aren't detected at all and all the inputs are very laggy. When I use the mouse to make those same inputs Resolve's reaction is instantanious. So the problem has to be somewhere with the panel and resolve. For comparison I tried the panel in Media Composer 8.3.1. Here everything seems to work fine.

Someone on OS X Mavericks suggested to switch off some nap mode for resolve, to fix the problem, but since I'm on a windows machine that doesn't apply to me.

Any ideas on what I could try to better the performance of the panel with resolve would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
Re: Avid Artist Color and Resolve 11 Lite
on Mar 18, 2015 at 1:24:42 am

While there is some panel latency the fundamental problem is that The Q4000 is a good GUI card but not very powerful for image processing.
Consider adding one of the hi performance GPUs listed in our config guides, published on our web support site.

Return to posts index

Johannes Furrer
on Mar 18, 2015 at 3:30:12 am

Thanks for your answers!
But I don't see how the graphics card could interfere with the panel talking to resolve. I would get it, if the adjustments I'm making would be laggy in general, but that's not the case. As I said the responsivness of Resolve is flawless when I'm making the adjustments with the mouse.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Mar 18, 2015 at 2:04:50 am

I have no problem with the Avid MC Color panel. Maybe I have lower expectations, but the trackballs and rings respond just fine. Making very subtle adjustments with windows and with PTZR are nearly impossible with the mouse for me; you have to have external knobs for this.

I have made some custom adjustments within the panel settings, but nothing severe.

Return to posts index

Boris Tivchev
on Mar 18, 2015 at 1:28:00 pm

I too have some substantial latency with our Avid Artist. Always have and upgrading Eucon and DR never really helped.

Marc, could I ask you to please try moving the rings by a really small amount back and forth and see if that gets registered on your waveform. When I do that on my unit I get no movement on the waveform. I have an Element Tk where the slightest of touch on the ring would register on the waveform with minimum latency.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Mar 19, 2015 at 3:47:21 am

No problems with subtle level changes here. Maybe I've just adjusted myself to the knob's ballistics. Over time, you can instinctively react to the knobs, like the difference between power brakes and manual brakes (assuming anybody remembers a time before power brakes).

Return to posts index

Boris Tivchev
on Mar 20, 2015 at 10:23:50 am

Thanks, Marc, i wonder if it could be an issue with my specific setup...? Its really unfortunate that, because with the TK panel the response is spot-on!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]